Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What some people don't get about SAHM

This is just a vent about my own situation. I'm not bashing anyone or comparing.

I've never gotten any mean comments about sahm in real life, but people make comments like "I wish I could just play with my kids all day!" Or "it must be great spending so much time with your kid!" The thing I think they don't understand is that I don't actually get to play with him that much. To be clear, I'm speaking as the mother of a child under school age. it would probably be different if he was in school.

Ds is with me most of the time. I haven't been able to find any playgroups or anything, and the neighbor kids are all older, so I'm his only playmate when dh is at work. I do everything I can for him, but there are many days he just doesn't want me. He sees me all the time and I'm boring to him. He fights me on nearly everything, and there are a lot of days lately where he just screams at me no matter what I try. He's not like that with dh unless he's super tired or sick. I'll probably get a ton of shit for this post. Bash if you must. I just miss having a good time with my kid. It's probably just part of his toddler phase, but it's really wearing on me.
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Replies (271-279):
myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:44 PM
He just turned 17 months. It's similar for us. I try to give him as much space as possible.

Quoting Ms.Sunshine6612:

How old is he? I really hate that feeling with my 2yr old... But that's when I find a cool computer game or something to play and then he gets some space and places by himself till I can tell hes kinda lonely and I'll go sneak up on him and he'll go into a giggle fit, or he'll hear the sounds on my game and if its something colorful or with animals, he'll wander over on his own and sit in my lap to watch. ;) He's such a lover sometimes...except when hes not, then hes just a big mean, jerk....haha hang in there and good luck!

fostermommy1
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:51 PM

My girls are in daycare all day. They love it, espcially with summer, it's more like camp!  I'm off for the summer (I'm a teacher).  Them being at "school" helps keep the 2yo on her routine, which is very important to her and I get to do my homework without having to worry about what she and her 1yo sister are getting in to.  And the excitment when I pick them up and we get play time, is fantastic.

Maybe see if there is a summer day camp near you.  Or check your local churches for Vacation Bible School (I don't know your religous standing), that could be a way for you son to play with some other kids and bring back the fun and excitment of spending time with mom.

Rebirth0112
by NikStar on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Mothers Day Out! I went through something similar with my oldest, he was 2 when we had middle ds and at that time he was fighting me on everything. I was exhausted, between entertaining/teaching him and breastfeeding a newborn I had to do something. I found a really great mothers day out program at a local church that was set up more like a preschool and let me tell ya it was amazing. Those two days a week made a world of difference!
Ms.Sunshine6612
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Oh, also what helps my son a lot is taking him to the library! he loves it! We don't get out very much (since we don't have our car inspected yet) and he is just fascinated with other kids. Plus they have a kids floor and I can let him pretty much roam free for hours! Except as soon as I say its time to go home, sometimes he'll have a giant meltdown cuz he doesn't wanna be stuck in the house with just me again. I feel SO bad at times like that... :(

Quoting myempyreofdirt: He just turned 17 months. It's similar for us. I try to give him as much space as possible.
Quoting Ms.Sunshine6612:

How old is he? I really hate that feeling with my 2yr old... But that's when I find a cool computer game or something to play and then he gets some space and places by himself till I can tell hes kinda lonely and I'll go sneak up on him and he'll go into a giggle fit, or he'll hear the sounds on my game and if its something colorful or with animals, he'll wander over on his own and sit in my lap to watch. ;) He's such a lover sometimes...except when hes not, then hes just a big mean, jerk....haha hang in there and good luck!

jesusrocks2013
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Dont feel bad, daughter does that too. He will grow out of it. Mine did.

Yamilajigsaw ribbonamerican flag ribbon

Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 7:48 AM

So welfare momma. keep those leeching hands out!!!!

Quoting myempyreofdirt: I guess maybe neither since I'm looking for work.
Quoting Anonymous:

but are you a SAHM or a welfare momma???

Quoting myempyreofdirt: I don't want anyone to think I'm saying working moms have it easier. I've never been one so I don't know. I'm sure the problems I have are just replaced with different ones though. Everything has ups and downs.
Quoting ttriddick: Aw. Been there before. And it does suck. Hang in there! Being a mom is hard work, working outside of the home or not. I've never quite understood what the pissing match between wahm, sahm, and wohm was all about lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 33 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Did you ever think of maybe sending your child to a daycare once a week just so that he can get some interaction with other kids and build some socail skills?

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Your sponsor (baby daddy, dh, whatever) is the only person that needs to 'get' your situation. Talk to him to see what you guys can do to make things better for the child and yourself. The kid probably needs to spend some time away from you & meet kids that are his age.
sita5184
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:21 AM
Sounds like I wrote this post. Babysat a friends child yesterday so today is worse. I have so much laundry to put away.

Quoting Abee2202: I'm opposite. My 4yr wants me to play with her all day long and I have to clean this, pick up that. Take care of the baby too. I feel like when I worked I had more time to play. I'm up and running from 6am until 8pm with the kids and there messes. Then more house stuff until I give up and pass out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)