Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What some people don't get about SAHM

This is just a vent about my own situation. I'm not bashing anyone or comparing.

I've never gotten any mean comments about sahm in real life, but people make comments like "I wish I could just play with my kids all day!" Or "it must be great spending so much time with your kid!" The thing I think they don't understand is that I don't actually get to play with him that much. To be clear, I'm speaking as the mother of a child under school age. it would probably be different if he was in school.

Ds is with me most of the time. I haven't been able to find any playgroups or anything, and the neighbor kids are all older, so I'm his only playmate when dh is at work. I do everything I can for him, but there are many days he just doesn't want me. He sees me all the time and I'm boring to him. He fights me on nearly everything, and there are a lot of days lately where he just screams at me no matter what I try. He's not like that with dh unless he's super tired or sick. I'll probably get a ton of shit for this post. Bash if you must. I just miss having a good time with my kid. It's probably just part of his toddler phase, but it's really wearing on me.
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Replies (41-50):
pinkdaisy8864
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I do wish I could still rock my babies.

Although... in another 10/ish years I will be rocking my grandbabies! lol

Quoting myempyreofdirt: I know, that's why I still rock him to sleep for naps and bed lol. My in laws keep insisting I should stop, but there really isn't very long that a child will even let you do that. He'll be off doing his own thing before I know it. I think that's what bothers me about his attitude some days. All too soon he'll be grown.
Quoting pinkdaisy8864:

Wait till he's 16. He'll never want to hang out with you :(

myempyreofdirt
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM
It's great getting to watch him grow, but it's a ton of work too. Children seldom want to follow silly ideals, whether mom stays home or not.

Quoting mommyflaw:

I have two toddlers and I understand. My days are usually spent cleaning, arguing, and fighting off tears. People seem to have a very warped view of SAHMs.

grimmgram
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 4:09 PM
My kids have their days. Sometimes they only want me when I need to cook or clean a mess or just clean in general. Like really. But they freaking love daddy busy or not
Mitchellgirl24
by Natalia! on Jun. 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM
Ah I know what you mean. I'm in the same situation. I think I might go crazy soon. Be strong hopefully it will pass soon.
myempyreofdirt
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Ds is always crawling in my lap when dh takes him so I can have a little break. I'm like really?! I've been trying to get a smile out of you ALL DAY and NOW you want to play with me?! Grrrr toddlers!

Quoting grimmgram: My kids have their days. Sometimes they only want me when I need to cook or clean a mess or just clean in general. Like really. But they freaking love daddy busy or not
Jozemom
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 4:45 PM

My daughter is like that. She is two and fiercely independent. It was a shock because my son,who is four now, was so affectionate and cuddly (to the point that it was exhausting!) but I've come to learn that every child is different, and it is no reflection of their love for me. I know my daughter loves me and I know as she gets older we will be close as long as I let her have her space. 

Your son loves you, but he jus takes you for granted because he knows you'll always be there. My daughter is clingy with her daddy, but it's because he works quite a bit so she has a chance to miss him.  It doesn't mean your son loves his dad more than you. Just give him his space and let him come to you. Give him activities to help his brain grow and then just let him be. Then you go do something you enjoy!

myempyreofdirt
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM
I know in my head that he loves me, but it's very hard to remember on days when I can't get him to crack the tiniest smile. I live for his precious kisses and hugs, and he goes days and days without giving them. This parenting gig is harder than one imagines it to be.

Quoting Jozemom:

My daughter is like that. She is two and fiercely independent. It was a shock because my son,who is four now, was so affectionate and cuddly (to the point that it was exhausting!) but I've come to learn that every child is different, and it is no reflection of their love for me. I know my daughter loves me and I know as she gets older we will be close as long as I let her have her space. 

Your son loves you, but he jus takes you for granted because he knows you'll always be there. My daughter is clingy with her daddy, but it's because he works quite a bit so she has a chance to miss him.  It doesn't mean your son loves his dad more than you. Just give him his space and let him come to you. Give him activities to help his brain grow and then just let him be. Then you go do something you enjoy!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jun. 23, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Working mom is way harder..i have been both and honestly am way more,stressed and exhausted being a,wm

Quoting myempyreofdirt: I don't want anyone to think I'm saying working moms have it easier. I've never been one so I don't know. I'm sure the problems I have are just replaced with different ones though. Everything has ups and downs.

Quoting ttriddick: Aw. Been there before. And it does suck. Hang in there! Being a mom is hard work, working outside of the home or not. I've never quite understood what the pissing match between wahm, sahm, and wohm was all about lol
Roksolana84
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I know exactly what you talking about. You are not alone, hugs.

myempyreofdirt
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 5:01 PM
That's you though. Some who have done both feel staying home is harder. It depends on the person, but in most cases I don't think either is easy. Raising a family is a lot of work.

Quoting Anonymous: Working mom is way harder..i have been both and honestly am way more,stressed and exhausted being a,wm

Quoting myempyreofdirt: I don't want anyone to think I'm saying working moms have it easier. I've never been one so I don't know. I'm sure the problems I have are just replaced with different ones though. Everything has ups and downs.

Quoting ttriddick: Aw. Been there before. And it does suck. Hang in there! Being a mom is hard work, working outside of the home or not. I've never quite understood what the pissing match between wahm, sahm, and wohm was all about lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)