Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter and husband are fighting over her engagement :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 446 Replies
1 mom liked this
My daughter and her boyfriend got engaged this weekend. You'd think this would be a happy time, but my hubby and her are fighting.

She's 29 and very feminist minded. My husband is very traditional and conservative. With my other daughters, there was the expectation her boyfriend would ask for permission if he was planning to propose. All of our other daughters followed through on this, and he was very pleased and happy to be included in that way.

My daughter had apparently told her boyfriend for years that she doesn't want that, she thinks it's stupid, etc. well, when she told me and hubby they were engaged, my husband got upset. He called her boyfriend disrespectful, told her he was ashamed of her going about it that way and said he couldn't support the wedding when it came about like that. She just rolled her eyes and said "fine dad, don't support it. If you want to have a tantrum, be my guest. You're a grown man, I'm not a child, and you're being absolutely pathetic" and they left.

Neither is budging on this. I talked to him and he's being stubborn and won't apologize. I talked to her and she's being just as stubborn, and got angry at me too for taking his side. Idk what to do. Any advice, mamas?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:19 PM
94 moms liked this

Tell your husband to get his head out of the 1950's...And if he doesn't want to lose the attitude, he may as well accept that he may lose his daughter too.

MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:19 PM
6 moms liked this
I think they both need to grow up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Let them work it out.  Your DH is in the wrong on this one.

Amybelle
by AmyAzing on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Your DH needs to back-off before he completely destroys the relationship

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM
9 moms liked this
Stay out of it. They both have the right to feel the way they do. Only she's going to get married despite his mantrum, so if you want to be a part of her wedding and future life, I suggest letting her know that you disagree and that you are happy for her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM
4 moms liked this
I hate the whole asking the father's permission crap. However I know that's not a popular opinion on here.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM
5 moms liked this
Bravo for the way she spoke to the man - child
MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM
10 moms liked this
Ask him if this one completely insignificant detail is worth ruining his relationship with his daughter and eventually his grandchildren
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM
14 moms liked this

Guess I am old fashioned. He should have asked

ramita
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM
18 moms liked this
Your DH is in the wrong. The boyfriend should respect his future wife not his future FIL, and it would've been disrespectful to her if he had asked for her dad's permission. The poor guy was in a lose lose situation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)