Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When did you or plan to have the sex talk with your kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

Dh says 12-13, I was thinking 11-12 years old. What about you guys?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Im not sure. Im still wondering how to approach the "Good touch, bad touch" conversations.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Ds was in 6th grade when I had our first "in-depth" conversation about sex. Until then, we had answered questions as they arose.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I would say before school starts and what I plan to do is just have a fun day out with ds and then have the talk over dinner.

Quoting Anonymous: Im not sure. Im still wondering how to approach the "Good touch, bad touch" conversations.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe in having one conversation, it started when he was old enough to know proper names for sexual anatomy and will continue until he has no more questions to ask.

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:46 PM

depends on what kind of sex we are talking about.  My kids are six... it has pretty much been limited to "Don't let anyone see you naked, touch your privates and tell you that you shouldn't tell mom about it..."

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Depends on the kid. One was 12, the other was 10. My girls are still little so I'm not sure when that'll come up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I know that dh and I are planning on several talks about this but I was thinking on when would be a good time to start.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I don't believe in having one conversation, it started when he was old enough to know proper names for sexual anatomy and will continue until he has no more questions to ask.

PeachQuean
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Our schools do it in 3rd grade here.

I.started talking about the dangers of strangers and even trusted people with inappropriate touching at the age of two.

By the time my kids were 5/6 they knew what sex was. They are now 12 and 6 and they both know what it is, and how babies are born, how to prevent pregnancies with condoms and birth control and so much more.

To me it's extremely important to have this talk with my own kids at a young age. While others think.It's better to wait.

Every parent has different ages they think.is appropriate.

My youngest dd is 2 now.
pookietooth
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I started with my kids early, because I didn't believe in lying to them. They still don't know everything, buy my 11 year old knows all the mechanics of it anyway. Most kids have already heard plenty of stories from their classmates at school by 9 or 10, and I had several classmates who were already having sex in the 6th grade (one girl got pregnant). See:

http://www.birdsandbeesandkids.com/resources/index.html 

http://seattletimes.com/text/2020902027.html

latsyrk
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:51 PM
I keep them age appropriate informed constantly. My 10 year old knows about sex, condoms and giving birth. He asked the other day how and why gay people chose to have sex and I had to tell him to let me think about it and come back with an explanation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)