Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

E-Z Baby Saver

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 4:05 PM
  • 5 Replies

Sad stories about children being left behind by absentminded parents or caretakers pop up way too often this time of year.

A boy from Nashville came up with an idea last year to put an end to such stories. He was 11 years old at the time and said he came up with his idea not to make a profit but to spread awareness.

Andrew Pelham invented the E-Z Baby Saver after hearing a report about a baby boy in his home town who died in a hot van after being left inside. (safekids.org

More popular and trending stories

Pelham’s invention is made of duct tabs and rubber bands — which qualified it as an entry in Akron, Ohio’s Rubberband Contest for Young Inventors.

Pelham took second place the Science & Engineering Division and won $500 in the 2013 contest.

Read Pelham’s instructions for how to make his   EZ Baby Saver here.  

How To Make An EZ Baby Saver

Coming soon: a video tutorial (to be added soon!)

Materials:  the thickest, best rubber bands you can find, neon duct tape.
You're basically making a string of rubber bands and covering it with a tube of duct tape.

Hold one rubber band. Loop a second rubber band over the first one.

Pull the tail through the loop.

Continue adding rubber bands until you have a chain.

How long should the chain be? Six rubber bands is a good place to start. You can measure from the back of the driver's seat to the interior door handle to be more exact.

Stretch out your rubber band chain. You can tape the ends down to a table or loop one end over the back of a chair.

Unroll a strip of tape that is as long as your chain. Double the tape over itself, creating a strip that is orange on both sides.

Fold the strip around the stretched rubber bands, creating a cover for the chain. Apply another strip of tape to seal this cover.

Cinch the ends of the cover and tape tightly. This keeps the loops on the ends from shrinking back into the cover when it is no longer stretched.

Add contrasting strips of tape around the cover. The brighter, the better!

Take your EZ Baby Saver to the car. Use the same looping technique, secure the strap on to the back of the driver's seat or headrest bars.

After you strap in your child, get into the driver's seat. Pull the EZ Baby Saver across the door opening, then loop it over the door handle. It will not interfere with your driving in any way.

When you try to exit the car, does the EZ Baby Saver stop you in your tracks? If so, it's working! Ask yourself if anyone is left in the back seat before you unhook the strap.

The EZ Baby Saver can be customized to fit any car door opening. You can make the cover out of neon fabric or you could even adapt a bungee cord for the same job.
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
myloveismyfaith
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Parents who will actually remember this, are the parents who aren't going to forget their kids. If you can remember a rubber and gizmo and not your own child in the backseat, you probably shouldn't have a kid.
Maks1mommy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Smart boy. Sad that something like this is needed though.
naomishere
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM
I think the parents are doing it on purpose come on how do you not notice your child in the car..... But for the kid he should get an award for coming up with something cause adults are idiots
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 24, 2014 at 4:16 PM
I think many of them are. The number goes up every year and everyone knows the poor distraught parents don't get charged. I've had three children and been preoccupied, sleep deprived, you name and never once came close to leaving one in the car.

Quoting naomishere: I think the parents are doing it on purpose come on how do you not notice your child in the car..... But for the kid he should get an award for coming up with something cause adults are idiots
naomishere
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Exactly....... even sleeping, rear facing with tinted windows I never did

Quoting Anonymous: I think many of them are. The number goes up every year and everyone knows the poor distraught parents don't get charged. I've had three children and been preoccupied, sleep deprived, you name and never once came close to leaving one in the car.

Quoting naomishere: I think the parents are doing it on purpose come on how do you not notice your child in the car..... But for the kid he should get an award for coming up with something cause adults are idiots
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN