Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

autism question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
I dont have extensive experience except what I have read. I knew a little girl that was diagnosed with aspergers, who would line up toys and scream at new people that walked into church nursery.
Now, I work at a day care. There is a little boy there they say is autistic. He is in the regular day care class, but in special ed at school. His day consists of literally walkin around hitting, kicking, and throwing things at other students and teachers. He also poops himself. Are those normal autism traits? I feelbfor his condition, but hes beating up kids smaller than him. Is this normal, should he be moved to special care?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:58 PM

He needs to be moved somewhere that is safer for all.   It could be on the more severe end of autism spectrum. Does he not have a special plan for the day care class?  What is his age currently?  I would correct his behavior as I would a "typical" child.

fairyjester
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:59 PM

i have no experience with those behaviors, as my son is the total opposite. 

but if he is not adjusting well , and it sounds like he is not,  then he should probably be moved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Today I saw him come up to a girl smaller than him who was playing with trucks. He snatched them from her and through them in her face, she wears glasses. My children are in his class and I worry about them getting beat up by this child...
fairyjester
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

He needs to be moved somewhere that is safer for all.   It could be on the more severe end of autism spectrum. Does he not have a special plan for the day care class?  What is his age currently?  I would correct his behavior as I would a "typical" child.

i very much agree with that last sentance. 

" Aaron  , dude, get in the bed and we can feel the vibrations together"  ---Zak Bagans , Ghost Adventures

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:01 PM

No but the other parents should be made aware of this 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:01 PM
He is 5 or 6, but large for his age. As far as I know there is no plan other than they help him clean himself when he soils his underwear. I figured he would be in a pullup since he does not use the toilet for number 2.
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Some autistic children can be aggressive, but they can be taught not to be. The problem is that some parents will just use autism as an excuse to not parent.

My ds is moderately autistic, nonverbal, and in diapers at almost 4. But he is the sweetest boy in the world. He loves to give hugs, and his way of saying "I love you" is running the back of his hand down your cheek. I've never seen him be aggressive to another child,and through his entire year of school, we never ONCE were notified by the teacher that he was being aggressive.

Sounds like somebody needs to talk to that little boy's parents.

I will say though that the pooping himself thing may be a sensory problem, or that he's just not ready to be out of diapers. It's not at all uncommon for autistic children to be delayed in potty training.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:04 PM
When he is in my class I treat him like any other child, although he is very strong willed and agressive. I was just wondering if soiling oneself and hurting others is normal autistic behavior...
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM
I know theyve discussed his hittin issue with his caregiver, he lives with grandparents I think...? But I was just curious, because I had never known a child just to hit or kick or stomp or throw things at people for absolutely no reason. Other kids minding their own business. Hes stomped a sleeping childs head, slapped another sleeping child across the face, kicking kids in the back while they are playing with toys. Could that be a self control issue?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)