Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breastfeeding mom still feeds daughter at age 5

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 239 Replies

Breastfeeding mom still feeds daughter at age 5

Posted: Apr 25, 2014 6:44 PM EDTUpdated: May 09, 2014 6:58 PM EDT

(Source: RTLEC.co.uk)
(Source: RTLEC.co.uk)
NORTH YORKSHIRE (CBS5/WZTV) -

One 44-year-old mom is taking a lot of heat for breastfeeding her daughter in public, but not for the reasons you might suspect.

Sharon Spink's daughter, Charlotte, is 5, and is breast fed up to three times a day. CNN affiliate WZTV reports that Spink says she isn't doing anything wrong, despite the girl's age.

"I've breast fed in the hairdresser's, supermarket and church before," Spink said in an interview with the UK's The Sun. "I've even breast fed Charlotte in front of her school friends. Children don't judge. It tends to be adults who do that. But thankfully their parents are all very supportive."

Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.WZTV contributed to this report.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Johnnysxangel
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:08 AM
I wouldn't do that, but to each their own I suppose.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:09 AM
9 moms liked this
That's gross. Sorry, but it is. There's no need for that.
Browncoat4eva
by Mackenzie on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:09 AM
4 moms liked this

I knew 2 moms who breastfed till 5 so it doesn't seem that odd to me.

I looked up to them in so many ways; they were great women and great moms. 

At the time I'd never heard of breastfeeding for that long but the average world weaning age is 4 years so 5 seems to be right in there with that. 

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM
6 moms liked this

I stand by my opinion- I am all for breastfeeding whenever/wherever, BUT... I think that once a child is old enough to say, "May I have some milk please?" they are too old to breastfeed... AND... not my kid...

Medic32
by RN=Rescue Ninja on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Whatever floats your boat.

Where I see the issue is delusion that children on the playground don't care. Her school friends almost undoubtedly make negative comments

I'm all for extended bf as long as it's the CHILD that wants it. Not mommy's need to infantilized.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it they're old enough to go to school, they're too old to BF. This is just weird.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM
4 moms liked this

Is the child still able to latch (because of MILK teeth and jaw formation still allowing breastfeeding) ?  Does the child want to nurse ?  Does the mother not mind too much ?  

She isn't ashamed of it because there is no reason to be ashamed.  Would you feel ashamed of giving your 5 year old a hug or letting them hold a teddy bear in public?  Most (normal) people, no.   She's just comforting her child in a way she has since she was born.  

Say to each their own and move on.

Howardx5
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Good for her for got giving a damn about who may judge.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Those kids might not judge now but when they are older they will remember that she was breastfeeding at 5 and give her hell.  I bet the parents judge.  They just don't say it to her face. 

N_maricle
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM
14 moms liked this

I don't see why she needs to nurse in public. It's not like the 5 yo is exclusively breastfed...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)