Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This story makes less and less sense *trigger*

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM
  • 41 Replies
Cops find holes in father’s story after Georgia toddler found dead in backseat of hot car

JOE KEMP Yesterday, 07:42 AM

change.org
Justin Harris and his son Cooper, who was found dead in the backseat of the father’s SUV on June 18.
Thousands are calling for authorities to drop the murder charge against a Georgia dad arrested after his son apparently died from being left for several hours in the backseat of a hot SUV.

More than 10,000 people have signed an online petition urging the Cobb County District Attorney’s Office to toss the charge against Justin Harris — who was cuffed after his 22-month-old son, Cooper, was found dead on June 18.

Harris, 33, claimed he forgot to drop his son off at a day care before going to work at a Home Depot in the Atlanta suburb and left the child strapped in the backseat of his SUV for seven hours as temperatures outside rose to nearly 90 degrees.

Although the father appeared panicked as he and several witnesses tried to revive the boy at the scene, police say they have uncovered more disturbing details that prove Harris was more than just a negligent parent. A source told WSB-TV that there is evidence the distraught dad actually knew the child was in the car before he pulled his lifeless body from the SUV.

“Much has changed about the circumstances leading up to the death of this 22-month-old since it was first reported,” Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce told CNN.

Cobb County police
Justin Harris, 33, was charged with felony murder and cruelty to children in after he allegedly left his 22-month-old child in a hot car for several hours.
“I’ve been in law enforcement for 34 years. What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather.”

Pierce said he could not elaborate on the details, because it was considered an ongoing investigation. But he said Harris’ story had a lot of holes.

“Within moments of the first responders getting to the scene and doing their job and questions began to be asked about the moments that led up to their arrival at the scene,” he told the news station.

“Some of those answers were not making sense to the first responders.”

Pierce said investigators were no longer sure if little Cooper had been in the SUV for as long as the father initially reported.

“I cannot confirm that the child, as originally reported, was in the car at 9 a.m.,” he said.

Harris, who has pleaded not guilty to murder and cruelty to children charges, was ordered held without bail until his next court appearance on July 15.

An autopsy has been completed by the county’s medical examiner, but the report has not yet been released.

WSBTV
Harris said he forgot to drop off his son at day care before leaving him strapped in the backseat of his SUV for several hours in the Home Depot parking lot.
Despite the confidence of investigators, one man who witnessed the frantic moments when Harris found his son in the backseat of his SUV said the father’s pain did not seem staged.

“I think it is impossible for this to have been intentional,” the witness, Leonard Madden, told WXIA-TV.

“There’s no way it would have been intentional — especially from the father’s reaction. You could feel his sorrow and his hurt because of the situation. I think it was insanity for him to be charged with murder.”

Another online fundraiser was created to collect money for Cooper’s funeral. As of Tuesday morning, the site had raised more than $20,000.

USING A MOBILE DEVICE? CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

jkemp@nydailynews.com

News 12

Posted By: Michele Wright, CBS 12 News Anchor

PHOTO CREDIT: Cobb County Sheriff's Office

(CNN) Controversy erupts in the death investigation of 22-month-old Cooper Harris, who was found dead in his car seat last week.

Cooper's father, 33-year-old Justin Ross Harris said he forgot to drop his toddler off at day care, accidentally leaving the boy in the hot car for over seven hours.

Investigators consulted with Cobb County District Attorney Vic Reynolds before securing an arrest warrant for Harris.

�??It�??s just a terrible, God-awful situation,�?� Reynolds said. �??I can�??t imagine, I can�??t fathom what any parent would be going through at this stage. It�??s the type of case that affects the community.�?�

In addition to murder, Harris is charged with cruelty to children in the first degree, according to his arrest warrant.

�??Said accused did leave a 22-month-old juvenile male unattended and strapped into a child car seat in a parked vehicle for approximately seven hours during daytime hours after which the child was found deceased,�?� the warrant states.

Harris is charged with felony murder and cruelty to children and is being held without bond in Cobb County Jail.

EARLIER CNN REPORT
It was a tragedy from the outset: a toddler found dead apparently after being left alone for hours in a hot car, a distraught father blaming himself and facing serious criminal charges.

Now, Cobb County, Georgia, police imply there is more -- much more -- to the story.

"Much has changed about the circumstances leading up to the death of this 22-month-old since it was first reported," Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce told CNN. He would not elaborate, citing an ongoing investigation, but his words made it clear this was not just another case of a young life left and lost to heat exposure in a hot car.
Shocking details in hot car death case

"I've been in law enforcement for 34 years. What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather," said Pierce.

Initially, Justin Ross Harris, 33, told Cobb County police that he accidentally left his toddler son in his SUV on Wednesday. According to police, Harris told them he had forgotten to drop the child off at a daycare center, before going to work.

Harris initially told police he realized that he'd left the boy strapped in his car seat as he drove home Wednesday afternoon.

Investigators say patrol officers were in the area of the Akers Mill Square shopping center in the suburban Atlanta county when dispatchers received the calls from witnesses around 4:20 p.m.

"He kept saying, 'What have I done? What have I done?'" Dale Hamilton told CNN affiliate WSB-TV.

"Within moments of the first responders getting to the scene and doing their job and questions began to be asked about the moments that led up to their arrival at the scene, some of those answers were not making sense to the first responders," Pierce of Cobb County Police said.

On Thursday, Harris pleaded not guilty to felony murder and cruelty to children charges. He's being held without bond at the Cobb County Jail.

CNN spoke with the child's mother, Leanna Harris, on Friday. Harris says she's been advised not to discuss the case with the media.

"We have been in communication with the mother throughout the investigation. At this time, I'm not at liberty to discuss her involvement. That's a part of the case our detectives are working on," Pierce said.

Cobb County Medical Operations Manager Mike Gerhard confirmed that the autopsy of the child is complete, although there are some questions.

Cobb County detectives and the medical examiner are working together to confirm the manner and cause of death, Pierce said.

According to the arrest warrant, the temperature reached 88 degrees in the area on Wednesday. Police said medical personnel believed the child had been in the SUV since 9 a.m., as Harris said.

But Pierce told CNN on Friday, "I cannot confirm that the child, as originally reported, was in the car at 9 a.m."

Calls to Justin Harris' attorney were not immediately returned.

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw that like 5 minutes ago, and I'm sticking to my first thought; something isn't quite right.
And if he did go back in his car at lunch...... Hmmm, i shall keep quiet until the truth comes out.
And that poor mother, that poor baby :'(
throw him in jail, he doesn't get a free pass. He can mourn in jail, he can cry in jail. Where he belongs because for me; he's guilty of murder.
So you bring your child to eat breakfast and head to work with him in the car but forget about him? Then go back in your car at lunch....and still not realize that your son is in the back seat?!
Not buying it at all.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:07 PM
When the story first came out there were reports that the man worked long hours and it seemed to be lack of sleep from working late hours.

My DH and I were talking about it though... The child was 2. The man was parked in a large parking lot, how did no one hear the little boy screaming? We both agreed the boy was probably asleep and once the hot exams hot died and never woke up. So no screaming..

But now police are saying the man stopped at chic-fil-a with his son just 10 minutes prior to getting to work.. So the boy wasn't asleep.. So why didn't anyone notice a screaming child in the backseat of the car?

They are also saying he went to his car at lunch...

But there are still so many questions..

Did he not talk to his wife at all during the day? I know my husband and I talk several times during the day or at least once. Wouldn't she have said something to make him remember the baby?

The police are leading that he my have left his child in the car on purpose... But why? Was there an accident resulting in the childs death and this was a cover up?

And again where is the mom in all of this?!?
hehehe
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Accident or not, he should be charge with murder. That's how i feel about anyone stupid enough to leave their child in the car to die....

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon: Cops find holes in father’s story after Georgia toddler found dead in backseat of hot car

change.org
Justin Harris and his son Cooper, who was found dead in the backseat of the father’s SUV on June 18.
Thousands are calling for authorities to drop the murder charge against a Georgia dad arrested after his son apparently died from being left for several hours in the backseat of a hot SUV.

More than 10,000 people have signed an online petition urging the Cobb County District Attorney’s Office to toss the charge against Justin Harris — who was cuffed after his 22-month-old son, Cooper, was found dead on June 18.

Harris, 33, claimed he forgot to drop his son off at a day care before going to work at a Home Depot in the Atlanta suburb and left the child strapped in the backseat of his SUV for seven hours as temperatures outside rose to nearly 90 degrees.

Although the father appeared panicked as he and several witnesses tried to revive the boy at the scene, police say they have uncovered more disturbing details that prove Harris was more than just a negligent parent. A source told WSB-TV that there is evidence the distraught dad actually knew the child was in the car before he pulled his lifeless body from the SUV.

“Much has changed about the circumstances leading up to the death of this 22-month-old since it was first reported,” Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce told CNN.

Cobb County police
Justin Harris, 33, was charged with felony murder and cruelty to children in after he allegedly left his 22-month-old child in a hot car for several hours.
“I’ve been in law enforcement for 34 years. What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather.”

Pierce said he could not elaborate on the details, because it was considered an ongoing investigation. But he said Harris’ story had a lot of holes.

“Within moments of the first responders getting to the scene and doing their job and questions began to be asked about the moments that led up to their arrival at the scene,” he told the news station.

Pierce said investigators were no longer sure if little Cooper had been in the SUV for as long as the father initially reported.

“I cannot confirm that the child, as originally reported, was in the car at 9 a.m.,” he said.

Harris, who has pleaded not guilty to murder and cruelty to children charges, was ordered held without bail until his next court appearance on July 15.

An autopsy has been completed by the county’s medical examiner, but the report has not yet been released.

WSBTV
Harris said he forgot to drop off his son at day care before leaving him strapped in the backseat of his SUV for several hours in the Home Depot parking lot.
Despite the confidence of investigators, one man who witnessed the frantic moments when Harris found his son in the backseat of his SUV said the father’s pain did not seem staged.

“I think it is impossible for this to have been intentional,” the witness, Leonard Madden, told WXIA-TV.

“There’s no way it would have been intentional — especially from the father’s reaction. You could feel his sorrow and his hurt because of the situation. I think it was insanity for him to be charged with murder.”

Another online fundraiser was created to collect money for Cooper’s funeral. As of Tuesday morning, the site had raised more than $20,000.

jkemp@nydailynews.com

News 12

(CNN) Controversy erupts in the death investigation of 22-month-old Cooper Harris, who was found dead in his car seat last week.

Cooper's father, 33-year-old Justin Ross Harris said he forgot to drop his toddler off at day care, accidentally leaving the boy in the hot car for over seven hours.

Investigators consulted with Cobb County District Attorney Vic Reynolds before securing an arrest warrant for Harris.

�??It�??s just a terrible, God-awful situation,�?� Reynolds said. �??I can�??t imagine, I can�??t fathom what any parent would be going through at this stage. It�??s the type of case that affects the community.�?�

In addition to murder, Harris is charged with cruelty to children in the first degree, according to his arrest warrant.

�??Said accused did leave a 22-month-old juvenile male unattended and strapped into a child car seat in a parked vehicle for approximately seven hours during daytime hours after which the child was found deceased,�?� the warrant states.

Harris is charged with felony murder and cruelty to children and is being held without bond in Cobb County Jail.

EARLIER CNN REPORT
It was a tragedy from the outset: a toddler found dead apparently after being left alone for hours in a hot car, a distraught father blaming himself and facing serious criminal charges.

Now, Cobb County, Georgia, police imply there is more -- much more -- to the story.

"Much has changed about the circumstances leading up to the death of this 22-month-old since it was first reported," Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce told CNN. He would not elaborate, citing an ongoing investigation, but his words made it clear this was not just another case of a young life left and lost to heat exposure in a hot car.

"I've been in law enforcement for 34 years. What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather," said Pierce.

Initially, Justin Ross Harris, 33, told Cobb County police that he accidentally left his toddler son in his SUV on Wednesday. According to police, Harris told them he had forgotten to drop the child off at a daycare center, before going to work.

Harris initially told police he realized that he'd left the boy strapped in his car seat as he drove home Wednesday afternoon.

Investigators say patrol officers were in the area of the Akers Mill Square shopping center in the suburban Atlanta county when dispatchers received the calls from witnesses around 4:20 p.m.

"He kept saying, 'What have I done? What have I done?'" Dale Hamilton told CNN affiliate WSB-TV.

"Within moments of the first responders getting to the scene and doing their job and questions began to be asked about the moments that led up to their arrival at the scene, some of those answers were not making sense to the first responders," Pierce of Cobb County Police said.

On Thursday, Harris pleaded not guilty to felony murder and cruelty to children charges. He's being held without bond at the Cobb County Jail.

CNN spoke with the child's mother, Leanna Harris, on Friday. Harris says she's been advised not to discuss the case with the media.

"We have been in communication with the mother throughout the investigation. At this time, I'm not at liberty to discuss her involvement. That's a part of the case our detectives are working on," Pierce said.

Cobb County Medical Operations Manager Mike Gerhard confirmed that the autopsy of the child is complete, although there are some questions.

Cobb County detectives and the medical examiner are working together to confirm the manner and cause of death, Pierce said.

According to the arrest warrant, the temperature reached 88 degrees in the area on Wednesday. Police said medical personnel believed the child had been in the SUV since 9 a.m., as Harris said.

But Pierce told CNN on Friday, "I cannot confirm that the child, as originally reported, was in the car at 9 a.m."

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM
I am in no way defending this man because something is wayyyy off.

But it is very possible the child could have already been dead when he went to his car at lunch. In this heat it wouldnt take long. And since the reports say the man only put something in his driver door it is possible he didn't see the child in the rear facing car seat.

But there is so much more that doesn't make since...

Quoting Lilith23: I saw that like 5 minutes ago, and I'm sticking to my first thought; something isn't quite right.
And if he did go back in his car at lunch...... Hmmm, i shall keep quiet until the truth comes out.
And that poor mother, that poor baby :'(
throw him in jail, he doesn't get a free pass. He can mourn in jail, he can cry in jail. Where he belongs because for me; he's guilty of murder.
So you bring your child to eat breakfast and head to work with him in the car but forget about him? Then go back in your car at lunch....and still not realize that your son is in the back seat?!
Not buying it at all.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:20 PM
He has already been charged and is being held without bond.

In order for it to be murder then he has to have a motive.. What would that be?

Quoting hehehe: Accident or not, he should be charge with murder. That's how i feel about anyone stupid enough to leave their child in the car to die....

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon: Cops find holes in father’s story after Georgia toddler found dead in backseat of hot car

change.org

Cobb County police

WSBTV

jkemp@nydailynews.com

News 12

EARLIER CNN REPORT

skipp2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:20 PM

And wouldn't the child still be eating - or spilling - the food from chik-fil-a when the father got to work? It really doesn't add up and looks like a cover up for something that may have happened during the night : (

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon: When the story first came out there were reports that the man worked long hours and it seemed to be lack of sleep from working late hours. My DH and I were talking about it though... The child was 2. The man was parked in a large parking lot, how did no one hear the little boy screaming? We both agreed the boy was probably asleep and once the hot exams hot died and never woke up. So no screaming.. But now police are saying the man stopped at chic-fil-a with his son just 10 minutes prior to getting to work.. So the boy wasn't asleep.. So why didn't anyone notice a screaming child in the backseat of the car? They are also saying he went to his car at lunch... But there are still so many questions.. Did he not talk to his wife at all during the day? I know my husband and I talk several times during the day or at least once. Wouldn't she have said something to make him remember the baby? The police are leading that he my have left his child in the car on purpose... But why? Was there an accident resulting in the childs death and this was a cover up? And again where is the mom in all of this?!?

skipp2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Is there proof that the child was even alive when he put him in the car that morning? Did anyone other than the parents see him moving/talking etc?

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon: I am in no way defending this man because something is wayyyy off. But it is very possible the child could have already been dead when he went to his car at lunch. In this heat it wouldnt take long. And since the reports say the man only put something in his driver door it is possible he didn't see the child in the rear facing car seat. But there is so much more that doesn't make since...
Quoting Lilith23: I saw that like 5 minutes ago, and I'm sticking to my first thought; something isn't quite right. And if he did go back in his car at lunch...... Hmmm, i shall keep quiet until the truth comes out. And that poor mother, that poor baby :'( throw him in jail, he doesn't get a free pass. He can mourn in jail, he can cry in jail. Where he belongs because for me; he's guilty of murder. So you bring your child to eat breakfast and head to work with him in the car but forget about him? Then go back in your car at lunch....and still not realize that your son is in the back seat?! Not buying it at all.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM
The reports say they stopped for breakfast at chic fil a

Quoting skipp2:

Is there proof that the child was even alive when he put him in the car that morning? Did anyone other than the parents see him moving/talking etc?

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon: I am in no way defending this man because something is wayyyy off. But it is very possible the child could have already been dead when he went to his car at lunch. In this heat it wouldnt take long. And since the reports say the man only put something in his driver door it is possible he didn't see the child in the rear facing car seat. But there is so much more that doesn't make since...
Quoting Lilith23: I saw that like 5 minutes ago, and I'm sticking to my first thought; something isn't quite right. And if he did go back in his car at lunch...... Hmmm, i shall keep quiet until the truth comes out. And that poor mother, that poor baby :'( throw him in jail, he doesn't get a free pass. He can mourn in jail, he can cry in jail. Where he belongs because for me; he's guilty of murder. So you bring your child to eat breakfast and head to work with him in the car but forget about him? Then go back in your car at lunch....and still not realize that your son is in the back seat?! Not buying it at all.

.PinkHart.
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Idk about the screaming. Here, several years back, a toddler was left in grand mother's car when she went to work. (The daycare she was supposed to take him to was literally across the street and in full view) The parking lot was in the same lot where xdh worked at an oil change. Those boys are constantly standing around outside not very far from where she parked and they never heard or suspected that baby was dying.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon: When the story first came out there were reports that the man worked long hours and it seemed to be lack of sleep from working late hours.

My DH and I were talking about it though... The child was 2. The man was parked in a large parking lot, how did no one hear the little boy screaming? We both agreed the boy was probably asleep and once the hot exams hot died and never woke up. So no screaming..

But now police are saying the man stopped at chic-fil-a with his son just 10 minutes prior to getting to work.. So the boy wasn't asleep.. So why didn't anyone notice a screaming child in the backseat of the car?

They are also saying he went to his car at lunch...

But there are still so many questions..

Did he not talk to his wife at all during the day? I know my husband and I talk several times during the day or at least once. Wouldn't she have said something to make him remember the baby?

The police are leading that he my have left his child in the car on purpose... But why? Was there an accident resulting in the childs death and this was a cover up?

And again where is the mom in all of this?!?
DevonD83
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I will reserve judgement for after the autopsy.. I havent heard about this story till now and just from the reports something seems very off

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN