Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you hide being poor?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

I am serious. We struggle a lot. We are poor basically. I am so stressed from worrying about things. I don't talk about them in front of the kids or anything but I am sure they can tell what's going on. So how do you hide it?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't hide it, if we are broke I say we are broke. No shame in it. 

Texor
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:42 PM

I don't understand.

Hide from WHOM? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM
I don't hide it from my kids. They know we are poor.
kmeow
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Number one, don't talk about finances or bills in front of them, ever. I don't think it's a big deal for kids to know you don't have a ton of money, but they should always feel like they have a stable place to live at least. As long as you don't talk about your struggles and how you're going to make ends meet, you should be able to easily accomplish that.

As far as things like their wants, there's really nothing wrong with saying "Oh no, we can't afford that right now." My mom told us how much our dad made, so everytime we asked for something we thought of it in hours our dad worked to earn it. It helped put things in perspective so we didn't really ask for things we didn't need, and felt more grateful for the extras we were allowed.

KME3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM
I don't hide it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM
When DH and I had money issues, we never fought or discussed in front of the kids. We made a point to do as many activities together as possible. (Free or cheap ones) i bought kids' clothes at Goodwill, didn't tell them. We didn't do Christmas presents and volunteered instead.
I'm not saying it's right, to hide money issues from kids, but we did. As well as everyone else in our family. We made sure we were there for family gatherings, parties, dinners.
morgiefae
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM

It wouldn't be fair to the kids to hide it. They need to know if we just simply cannot do something because we cannot aford it, and we are not just being mean, imo atleast.

CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I don't really hide it.. they don't know exactly how much money we have.. but if they want something we can't afford, I do not sugar coat it. I will tell them that we don't have the money for that. *shrugs* 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Heck, I just say I don't have the money for it and that's it.
My kids know, I get most of the clothes and books and even toys from the Thrift Store just to save a few bucks.

Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:45 PM
If it isn't something we can afford to do at the present time, I simply tell my kids that we cannot do it right now. Sometimes, I'll explain how much things cost to try and give them perspective.

Extreme example lol: Disney costs $100 per day per person. That's $500 for all of us for one day. ONE day! Or, we can spend $130 and have season passed to the pool all summer. You can swim as much as you want! Not just one day of fun.

Obviously, I don't tell them about vacation packages lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN