Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sickle Cell Anemia.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

I'm sure tests have changed since my soon to be 10 year old was a baby. But when I was told she needed a lead test because the house I lived in at the time was built in the 1930s, I didn't take her. And shes fine. Never once was I told I had to take her to be tested for sickle cell anemia.

I dont want to make this about race. My friends daughter just turned a year old and her dr wants her tested for sickle cell anemia. Both of the parents are caucasian. There has never been any diagnosis of sickle cell in either side of their family?

Should she take her 1 year old daughter to get tested for sickle cell? Or lead poisoning? What is the point in these tests. Her daughter is already a semi cranky thing! lol

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Bump.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:53 PM
My son was tested for sickle cell, he's white.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Really? Thats so weird. My daughter is too - but she was never tested for it? She'll be 10 in a few months. I just read where all newborns are now being tested for it

Quoting Anonymous: My son was tested for sickle cell, he's white.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Pretty sure the point of the tests is to ensure the child doesn't have sickle cell or lead poisoning. Why not get them tested?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I find it wrong to do unecessary tests.

Quoting Anonymous: Pretty sure the point of the tests is to ensure the child doesn't have sickle cell or lead poisoning. Why not get them tested?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM
And that's your opinion. Obviously your pedi disagrees.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous: Pretty sure the point of the tests is to ensure the child doesn't have sickle cell or lead poisoning. Why not get them tested?

AZHOTMOM
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM

My lil sis was tested years ago for sickle cell. She is white. She also has what they call the sickle cell trait, so if she were to have babies with someone who also has the trait their kids would have sickle cell.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:05 PM

No its not my pedi. its a friend of mines pedi. I just cant see trying to get blood from a 1 year old. I didnt take my daughter for the lead test. And had they even suggested a sickle cell test I prob would have said no anyways.

Quoting Anonymous: And that's your opinion. Obviously your pedi disagrees.
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Yeah. I explained how it worked. Sent her links to articles and such. Shes prob still going to do it.

Quoting AZHOTMOM:

My lil sis was tested years ago for sickle cell. She is white. She also has what they call the sickle cell trait, so if she were to have babies with someone who also has the trait their kids would have sickle cell.

ARACMOM
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM
I was tested for it as an adult in the military. I thought it was ridiculous. I am white as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)