Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter called CPS on my sister :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 252 Replies
1 mom liked this
My sister is working to clean up her life, but used to be very irresponsible. My daughter is 22 and lives in an apartment going to college. Her and my sister don't get along too well since she resents the time she lived with us. She partied a lot, drank too much, caused fights and was unpleasant to live with but we let her stay because of my nephew, who is now 6.

My sister cleaned herself up in the last six months. Prior to that, she was living on her own, but would drop my nephew off unannounced at my house for us to watch him while she went and did her thing. When we weren't home, she would bring him to my daughters. My daughter would call me to complain but suckit up because he was there and crying. The last time she did it, my daughter and her got into a fight and my daughter told her to never do it again.

My sister has quit drinking, got a new job as a nurses assistant in a hospital and is doing much better. Two nights ago, she was on call but didn't want to get a sitter because it wastes money. My husband and I were in another state, so obviously couldn't watch him. My sister tried to call my daughter, but she wasn't answering her phone. She was desperate and brought him over. She ran into my daughter in the lobby, and begged her to watch him. She said no, I'm going out, and don't you dare leave him.My sister was desperate and worried about losing her job by missing a shift while she's still on probation at work. My daughter said she was going to call the police on her if she left him, and my sister didn't think it was serious, said she owed her one, thanked her and left.

My daughter waited with him in the lobby, called the police and reported her aunt. The police have charged her with some kind of abandonment or neglect, and CPS has removed him from her. He is staying with us, but my sister is absolutely devastated. This could cause her to lose her job, and she's made so much progress.

My daughter is unapologetic. I don't know what to do. My whole family is upset that she did it, and I feel like I'm getting the blame.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smalltownteddy
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:53 PM
66 moms liked this
Your sister is a nutjob and you're an enabler. At least your kid has her head on straight.
kylenkodysmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM
18 moms liked this
Your daughter did the right thing. Your sister DID abandon her son by leaving him with your daughter. Your daughter told her no, told her not to leave him, and your daughter told your sister what would happen if your sister left him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I won't lie and say that I haven't coddled her, but I don't know the line between protecting my nephew and enabling her. She was turning her life around, and then this happens?

Quoting smalltownteddy: Your sister is a nutjob and you're an enabler. At least your kid has her head on straight.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Well, I understand both sides. Your daughter had plans and they got crossed, because your sister wouldn't make other arraignments, even thou she knew she would be working. She knew, she could lose her job if she wouldn't show up, but just dropping hers on off at your daughters place without asking at least a couple of days up front if it's ok, is not right.
Hopefully she won't lose her job and learned her lesson.

umm.yeah
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM
10 moms liked this

Just because she has been doing better for the last few months does not mean your daughter has to forget all the crap from the past.  Part of getting it all together is breaking the habits you had in the past that caused issues.  Leaving her child with family even when they didn't want her to is one of those habits.  Good for your daughter for making your sister take responsibility for her actions.

Momtoone07
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:59 PM
5 moms liked this
Your daughter did the right thing. Your sister needs a serious wake up call.
smalltownteddy
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:59 PM
6 moms liked this
It is her responsibility to secure a sitter for her child. She abandoned this kid on someone's doorstep after being told the consequences. That's irresponsible and dangerous.

Quoting Anonymous: I won't lie and say that I haven't coddled her, but I don't know the line between protecting my nephew and enabling her. She was turning her life around, and then this happens?

Quoting smalltownteddy: Your sister is a nutjob and you're an enabler. At least your kid has her head on straight.
archerkaty
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

She gave her fair warning of the consequences of her actions.  Your daughter did the right thing. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh, sorry your dd is smarter than to continue to enable the addict. When you're on call, you should have childcare arranged. She has a pattern of dumping him, she needs to learn to be a better parent, not just stop drinking, that might be too much at once, either way, your sister is not a fit mother, you have covered for her, which allowed her to continue, your dd is right. The boy will be better off without the addict mom, in supposed recovery or not. In Ohio, she would have to pee clean for a year to earn him back, along with parenting classes. I find it hard to believe that she was an addict mom, and never got caught, then she quits drinking and gets caught dumping him, very unusual. Try to look at what is better for her son, stop seeing things from her perspective.
mandaday
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:02 PM
4 moms liked this
You decided to enable your sister. Your daughter did not. Everyone needs to stop treating your daughter like she did anything wrong. Your sister was warned.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)