Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Getting ex husband out of jail..would you?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM
  • 165 Replies
My ex husband has been a terrible father since I left him. He has only paid child support once and that's because he was threatened with jail time. Ex DH doesn't see the kids, calls once in a blue moon, and misses important events.

Anyway, the state filed against him for being over $5000 behind in child support. He has been in jail since April 4th. Well, he has called me quite a few times and I've gone to see him once. Ex DH would like for me to help get him out. He says he has realized a lot of his issues and what he needs to do.

I want him to sit there because he's so damn stubborn and wouldn't get a job or help me with the girls when I asked. However, his father finished chemo and radiation and it didn't do what they were hoping. His father also had another stroke last weekend. He is NOT going to make it much longer. I can't stand the thought of ex dh's father passing away while he's in jail over child support.

So what did I do? I called the court and told them to drop his sentence completely (he is supposed to be in until August 4th) and just let him go. I don't know if I made the right decision but I guess we shall see. I know my current DH is upset with my decision.

What would you have done?
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lukesmom2002
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't have done anything to help him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM
6 moms liked this
If he cared about his father he wouldn't have made choices that landed him in jail. I don't care, call me heartless, but he would have sat there.
ladybugchick317
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I would have let him sit there. He has responsibilities and it is not fair for you to have to handle all of it for the kids you made together while he gets out of it with no consequesnces.

MrsGerbode4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Yeah, that's what my husband is saying. Uh.. I've been so 50/50 about this. I called the court this morning just to see what they say, I didn't expect it to be that easy.

Maybe I did make the wrong choice.

Quoting Anonymous: If he cared about his father he wouldn't have made choices that landed him in jail. I don't care, call me heartless, but he would have sat there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Nothing.

He hasn't changed, you won't see any money. But, if you feel you did the right thing that's all that matters

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM
I'd have let him rot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Why is that even a question? He's in jail for a good reason, leave his ass in there.
MrsGerbode4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Sigh.. I know you're right.

Quoting ladybugchick317:

I would have let him sit there. He has responsibilities and it is not fair for you to have to handle all of it for the kids you made together while he gets out of it with no consequesnces.

Brandyns87
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM
I would have let him sit in jail.
MrsGerbode4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM
I guess part of me has accepted that I'll never get any money from him.

I don't know how I feel. I've been on the fence. I don't feel like I did it for him, but his father. However, he should have cared enough about his father then to allow himself to go to jail

Quoting Anonymous:

Nothing.

He hasn't changed, you won't see any money. But, if you feel you did the right thing that's all that matters

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)