Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is my kid so dumb?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies
I have a six year old who excels in school because he loves it.

I have an eight year old who hates school because he has to work very hard

I decided that this summer, I was going to get my eight year old to learn multiplication so he had a leg to stand on starting in third grade.

He was excited. I was excited. We were all excited.

UNTIL, my six year old caught on faster to multiplication than he did! Now my eight-year-old can't stand learning it. And, he's the one who is really, really, really going to need it!

What would you do?

(I changed this to a catchy title because it was lame and no one would repsond!)
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Bump!
Littlebunnyfufu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't really have any advice is the same thing with my sister and I. I was the younger sister but I tended to pick up her work just as fast as my work and frustrated the hell out of her.

Maybe from now on work with your older son one on one. So he doesn't feel he's in competition with his brother. And also has the one on one guidance needed to learn the material
CMay2CK
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:07 PM
Agree. Younger son needs to be distracted with something else, or not at home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:07 PM
As younger kids tend to do, he is about attatched to my hip 24/7 which is also a frustration. Haha. Getting one-on-one time with the oldest has been difficult for well, about six years now.

Thank you for the advice! I will keep working with him!

Quoting Littlebunnyfufu: I don't really have any advice is the same thing with my sister and I. I was the younger sister but I tended to pick up her work just as fast as my work and frustrated the hell out of her.

Maybe from now on work with your older son one on one. So he doesn't feel he's in competition with his brother. And also has the one on one guidance needed to learn the material
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:09 PM
While it would be nice to get one-on-one time with my oldest, it just doesn't happen. My youngest has (and probably always will) followed us around since he could crawl. He's a nosey Nancy.

Quoting CMay2CK: Agree. Younger son needs to be distracted with something else, or not at home.
CMay2CK
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:10 PM
Find him a friend. Your oldest needs the undivided attention right now. A six year old should not still be joined at the hip.

Quoting Anonymous: While it would be nice to get one-on-one time with my oldest, it just doesn't happen. My youngest has (and probably always will) followed us around since he could crawl. He's a nosey Nancy.
Quoting CMay2CK: Agree. Younger son needs to be distracted with something else, or not at home.
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Quoting Anonymous: While it would be nice to get one-on-one time with my oldest, it just doesn't happen. My youngest has (and probably always will) followed us around since he could crawl. He's a nosey Nancy.

He is six and is at a point he should understand that he can't be latched on to mom all the time and demanding all of the attention. Find him a day camp (and then switch them out so older DS can enjoy as well) or an activity so that your older child an get the help he needs with math and some alone time with mom. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM
How old are your kids?

And why would it be acceptable for one to be allowed to play with a friend while the other is working on math? They have a lot of friends but they do everything together.

Quoting CMay2CK: Find him a friend. Your oldest needs the undivided attention right now. A six year old should not still be joined at the hip.

csxt99
by Jennifer on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Tell the older kid that some kids learn things easier than others. Then, you just keep working with him. Have you tried different methods of teaching him? Maybe one method will work better than others.

2-point-doe
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

How about sending oldest to a tutor or learning center.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN