Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Filing for divorce in Virginia

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
Anyone ever done a divorce in VA? I'm reading you have to be separated for 6 months first. But he's not going to leave the house willingly. How do I get the ball rolling on this?

We have no kids together. His dd lives with us. I bought the house before we got married, so I know it will stay mine.

We're up to our ears in debt. He works @12 hours per week. I can't support him anymore. Charged with domestic violence twice, but I didn't show up to court either time so they dropped them.

I have literally zero money for a lawyer. My bank account in negative 300 right now.

Married for 3 years.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:31 PM
Bump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I'm sorry, I don't know. But her's a Bump and good luck to you lady. "If you're going through hell....keep going!"

L2495
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Thank you. I need to do this while I still have the courage up to go through with it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry, I don't know. But her's a Bump and good luck to you lady. "If you're going through hell....keep going!"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Thanks!

Quoting L2495:

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM
There's no requirement for filing a legal separation and you CAN be separated in the same house. You need to maintain separate bedrooms and your needs separately. Then when you have your court date, you need a witness to testify that you've been separated for 6 months.
imakehimscream
by He screams on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Did you call the court house and ask
sweetpeasgirl12
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:39 PM

You could maybe call the courts and see if you can get a public defender, at a reduced cost, maybe they can help speed thing along esp since there has been abuse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:40 PM
How do I get him to actually do that then? He won't willingly. He will keep trying to work things out.

Quoting Anonymous: There's no requirement for filing a legal separation and you CAN be separated in the same house. You need to maintain separate bedrooms and your needs separately. Then when you have your court date, you need a witness to testify that you've been separated for 6 months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:41 PM
I've just been trying to use the website. They say they can't give legal advice. They did tell me they don't have any specific forms for divorce. Weird.

Quoting imakehimscream: Did you call the court house and ask
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN