Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think I have Bi-Polar disorder

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM
  • 10 Replies

I normally dont post personal things on this site but I really need some advice because no one around me seems to take me seriously. 

Im honestly starting to believe that I am bi-polar. Ive been in denial for a while about it and I only told two people my feelings. My sister has bi-polar disorder and I read online that it runs in families. I also read through the symptoms and most of them match a lot of what im going through. Im not diagnosing myself but I really feel that I suffer from it. I had ppd for a while and I got help. Im not even sure if it went away. 

I talked to my mom about it and her response was that I'll be alright and that Im just stressed. I dont really have anyone else to talk to about this. My sister was found cutting her wrist in the bathroom at school when she was 17, thats when she was diagnosed with the disorder. She was put on syriquil (sp?) and something else. The syriquil made her sleep almost 12-13 hours straight. We could never get her awake or get her to stay awake. I do think drugs will help me but I dont want the same symptoms from drugs like my sister had.

My biggest fear is that I will be deemed an unfit parent if I seek help. I dont have a doctor yet and I dont know where to start. I only have one close friend out here and he is my ear. He listens to me and lets me cry on his shoulder. He also thinks I should seek help. Like I said before I dont know where to start but I really do want to talk to someone and gets some help.

Mommas who have this, can you give me any advice on how to get through this? Im not diagnosing myself at all. I just feel that it is a big possibility that what I am feeling are symptoms from the disorder. Ive been having these feelings for a very very long time. I just really dont know how to handle them anymore.

No bashing please, Im seriously so confused about this right now. Just seeking advice.

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ATG499
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Seeking help means you're aware there is a problem and want to correct or manage it so you can be a better parent. They won't take your children away because of that.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers

(If you're on my Facebook, please don't say anything yet!!) 

RalphsMommy123
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Thanks. That's one of the biggest things I feared.

Quoting ATG499:

Seeking help means you're aware there is a problem and want to correct or manage it so you can be a better parent. They won't take your children away because of that.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Finding a therapist is a good place to start. They won't just push drugs on you.

ATG499
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:51 PM

That was one thing I feared as well. I have anxiety and depression. Honestly, after my ordeal when I tried to get help for possible PPD, I was afraid to reach out too. My advice to you? Do NOT let the doctor make you feel like crap for getting help. They cannot take your kids away just because you tried to get help. (Unless you admit to child abuse.)

Quoting RalphsMommy123: Thanks. That's one of the biggest things I feared.
Quoting ATG499:

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers

(If you're on my Facebook, please don't say anything yet!!) 

krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:55 PM
That was my biggest fear as well. As long as you are carrying for yourself and your children, they can't take them from you. You can go to a website dbsa.com it is the depression bio polar support alliance. They can connect you to all kinds of support and resources in your area. Getting help is the very best thing you can do for yourself and your kids. Don't be ashamed, don't be scared. It's the right thing to do.
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:00 PM

You need a therapist and a psychiatrist. A therapist is someone you can talk to and they will diagnose you. The psychiatrist will talk to you a bit but generally visits are only for 15 minutes and they give you meds. At least this is how it works here and in most areas that I know of, but I do know some places are different.

kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:06 PM

first off, i am currently diagnosed as having depression/anxiety disorder, so i dont have bipolar, BUT my sister and my father have bipolar and my dr keeps a CLOSE eye on my because of that. do NOT ever be afraid of seeking out help. you will only be deemed unfit if you KNOW that you have this and you refuse help. what you need to do is call the local clinic, say that you need a new dr and is anyone accepting patients? they will set you up with a new client appt, and then you can discuss your concerns. they might make you do another appt to really get you diagnosed. you will have to go about every 6 mos to make sure that you can keep getting your meds. and it wont be one med wil magically fix it. be up front with your dr about what your side effects are. there are lots of options out there. it took years for my sister to get the correct diagnosis, so dont feel bad, or ashamed.

Crashly
by Ashley on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Call a local clinic. Tell them you are a new patient and need to establish care with a physician. Tell your physician how you are feeling, he or she can point you in the right direction.
RalphsMommy123
by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the advice. Im going to google clinics around me and start calling.

Quoting kissmiss213:

first off, i am currently diagnosed as having depression/anxiety disorder, so i dont have bipolar, BUT my sister and my father have bipolar and my dr keeps a CLOSE eye on my because of that. do NOT ever be afraid of seeking out help. you will only be deemed unfit if you KNOW that you have this and you refuse help. what you need to do is call the local clinic, say that you need a new dr and is anyone accepting patients? they will set you up with a new client appt, and then you can discuss your concerns. they might make you do another appt to really get you diagnosed. you will have to go about every 6 mos to make sure that you can keep getting your meds. and it wont be one med wil magically fix it. be up front with your dr about what your side effects are. there are lots of options out there. it took years for my sister to get the correct diagnosis, so dont feel bad, or ashamed.

3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 8:53 AM

You can usually get free/cheap mental health care at a community health center based on your income if you don't have insurance that will cover it.  They can at least give you advice and point you in the right direction. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN