Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

NO...not home school!!

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:15 PM
  • 67 Replies
I am considering putting my oldest son in online school. No, not home school.

My 12 year old isn't responding to public school. I've been looking into the k-12 program. Anyone have any experience with online school?
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Glitchtastic
by Glitter Trauma on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Bump
Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM

K12 didn't work well for our family. Your child has to want to learn and you have to keep on top of it or they can fall far behind.

Quoting Glitchtastic: I am considering putting my oldest son in online school. No, not home school. My 12 year old isn't responding to public school. I've been looking into the k-12 program. Anyone have any experience with online school?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I did that with my oldest.  Although there was a curriculum, it was a lot like home school.  I had to be around to help him and to make sure he was focusing on work.  I had to help him with science experiments that were required to be completed, give him spelling tests, proctor his exams, help him with review questions for reading and other things that I can't think of right now.  A lot of the work was online, but there still needs to be an adult helping, unless your child is extremely driven and self-sufficient.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, what is he not responding to about public school? K12 is, literally, public school at home - same coverage, same curriculum, same standards, same expectations, etc.

We've been independently homeschooling for 4 years. I have never met anyone, in real life, who likes the K12 program, honestly - everyone that I know personally only lasted a year, tops, in the program, before dropping it to traditionally homeschool.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Glitchtastic
by Glitter Trauma on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM
He isn't driven to learn at all. The schools don't have enough time to focus on him. Plus I can't keep in contact with them for every assignment. I feel like I'll have more control over what he's expected. Between my DF and myself I think we could be the support he needs.

Quoting Anonymous:

I did that with my oldest.  Although there was a curriculum, it was a lot like home school.  I had to be around to help him and to make sure he was focusing on work.  I had to help him with science experiments that were required to be completed, give him spelling tests, proctor his exams, help him with review questions for reading and other things that I can't think of right now.  A lot of the work was online, but there still needs to be an adult helping, unless your child is extremely driven and self-sufficient.

emmalee3
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM
I've only heard negative reviews about K12. We were looking into it for my daughter who is going into Kinder this fall. We decided to enroll her in a local online school in our city (where I went as well). Good luck !
Glitchtastic
by Glitter Trauma on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:28 PM
He learns a lot different from the way public school teaches. Less social distraction and more one on one time. My DF and I both work and from what I understand the hours are more flexible.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Well, what is he not responding to about public school? K12 is, literally, public school at home - same coverage, same curriculum, same standards, same expectations, etc.

We've been independently homeschooling for 4 years. I have never met anyone, in real life, who likes the K12 program, honestly - everyone that I know personally only lasted a year, tops, in the program, before dropping it to traditionally homeschool.

Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I don't know anyone who homeschooled with k-12 and liked it.  You could try it and if it doesn't work you could send him back to traditional school or homeschool without k-12.

southernwldchld
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM

The hours are more flexible, to a point. And the curriculum can be modified to a point. 

It was a lot for us, we are much more simple, laid back and integrate school into everyday life, kind of schoolers. We went with it for two years, but youngest ds is dyslexic and they didn't have anything until 3rd grade for that. Plus 80+lbs of school stuffs for two kids was a LOT.

I think for one kid, if you have time (you will be teaching the lessons using the teachers guide), and are willing to put forth the effort (ds too), it could be good.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I'm glad I saw you! Do you mind if I ask if you do foreign language instruction? If so, what program do you use or do you make your own? I am needing to find a program before the fall and am open to all suggestions.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN