Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I know there's an explainantion but I just can't remember it. Country bashing.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

Where I live we have a lot of Latino families that go generations deep in our neighborhood. It's not uncommon for some of them to bash the U.S., make fun of the U.S. for not having "culture", being white etc. Also glorifying the country of their ancestors origin, posting a flag of Mexico on their property instead of maybe an American flag and a Mexican flag, riots when Mexico wins because of so much pride over a game? 

I once could recall why this was ok, smething about them feeling opressed and we should accept the need for them to be able to be prideful, even boastful. Can you remind me what that was exactly? Cause I forgot.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Steph84FL
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Its ALWAYS ok to celebrate your heritage
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM
I dont think we should forget where we came from, especially since this country is so young. But I also dont agree with bashing the country you live in.
southernwldchld
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I hate that for some the idea of being proud of where you came from, or from rising above something, is synonymous with hate for another.

If you are of the same mind as the ones you put down, how are you any different?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:29 PM
I think people can have pride without being a jackass.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Where do you live?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I'm not of the same mind set. It makes me sad because my parents immigrated here from germany and were immediately proud to be U.S. citens. We still celebrated our heritage but had respect for the U.S. first and fore most. 

Quoting southernwldchld:

I hate that for some the idea of being proud of where you came from, or from rising above something, is synonymous with hate for another.

If you are of the same mind as the ones you put down, how are you any different?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Eastern Los Angeles.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where do you live?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:36 PM
You know Native Mexicans were indigenous to a good chunk of America until they were pushed out right? They are also Native Americans. Would you be irritated with a person walking around with the British flag on their shirt?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

I'm Latina, yes.... But above all else I'm an American and I have pride in my country.

So I might speak Spanish at home, I might listen to Spanish music and make Spanish food. But at the end of the day, we hang an American flag outside our home.

Quoting Anonymous: I dont think we should forget where we came from, especially since this country is so young. But I also dont agree with bashing the country you live in.
MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I think if they bash they should go home.  Yes America is in dire need of help in many ways.  But these people could be helping with that...Starting with sharing their culture with others. If it's so important to them it can only benefit the rest of us to see it and experience it.  JFK said ask what you can do for your country...and I think more people should listen instead of just griping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)