Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Please help me get him off my boobs!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 184 Replies
1 mom liked this
My 13 month old is still nursing. I swore I'd be one of those moms who let their babies self wean but I can't do it anymore. He still nurses all freaking night and I'm sui dang tired. I never get any sleep and I'm becoming almost suicidal. I struggle with depression and actually have an appointment to get back on antidepressants in a few weeks. I seriously hate nursing now. It's uncomfortable and the bond that was once there is gone because now when he is nursing I just want him to stop. I want to be able to get a full nights sleep. I'm so freaking tired right now. Every time I try to take my boob out and put the paci in instead he screams and cries. I can't take it anymore. I need him off of me and I need him off soon. I need to be able to sleep. Please please tell me how. I love my son so much. But his constant nursing is driving me crazy.

Ps. Also he won't hardly eat solids during the day. All he ever wants is to nurse. He's on track with his weight but his iron count was really low and now I have to give him an iron supplement every day. So it's not just for my sanity but also his health. Please for the love of God help me.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:06 AM
Oh and I really wish I could take my regular antidepressants (Prozac) but because I'm nursing they are switching me to Zoloft and I don't even know if that will work. My son needs a mother that won't kill herself,a healthy mom. I need to be able to take the medications that work without having to worry about nursing. Just another reason I want to stop.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:09 AM
Please please help
Glitter_Shart
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:11 AM
I'm trying ween my LO he's almost 16 months and I said I would be done at 1 yr. I'm almost 6 months pregnant and I need a break. During the day I had someone else give him water in his cup. He cried for about a week, but he's off during the day. But he eats food too. At night it's harder. He's never slept through the night and I'm exhausted! He is nursing as I'm typing this. I don't know what to do
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:14 AM
Zoloft works. I'm on it now. You have to get him to eat real food if you expect him to stop.
raych415
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:17 AM
2 moms liked this
I have no advice for weaning of boobs..., as I didn't breastfeed... but does he take a bottle at all? I weaned my babe off the bottle and on to a cup so try weaning him to a bottle. Get the ones with realistic nipples. Do warm milk as long as he has no milk allergy. I made babe quit daytime bottles she only has one at night. I just did it. Replaced her bottles with cups and she had no choice. She got over it. Also make him eat solids. Instead of the boob give him baby food or table food. He's old enough for the food on your plate. Try getting him those pouches so it can be like he's still sucking but it's actual baby food. Try buying some that have spinach in it. Target and safeway, and even big lots have a huge variety. But try one with spinach in the mix because I think spinach is high in iron. Hang in there mama!!!!! It seems awful but it will get better. Pm if you ever want to talk. Hugs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:20 AM
I do everything short of forcing it down his throat. I try everything. Purrees, cooked food, everything. My mom thought oh well maybe he wants something tasty and offered him ice cream but nope he wouldn't eat that either. Wouldn't eat his birthday cake. Today I made carrots and he tossed and turned his head and screamed and wouldn't eat it. For dinner we went out to a Mexican restaurant and he had some beans but only a few bites and then he cried and tried to pull down my shirt to nurse. I'm at wits end. I'm thinking about checking into a psych hospital but my husband says that would be cruel to the baby to have to go cold turkey. I need help though. I think sleep would help a lot.

Quoting Anonymous: Zoloft works. I'm on it now. You have to get him to eat real food if you expect him to stop.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:21 AM
He had never taken a bottle. He won't even hardly take a sippy cup.

Quoting raych415: I have no advice for weaning of boobs..., as I didn't breastfeed... but does he take a bottle at all? I weaned my babe off the bottle and on to a cup so try weaning him to a bottle. Get the ones with realistic nipples. Do warm milk as long as he has no milk allergy. I made babe quit daytime bottles she only has one at night. I just did it. Replaced her bottles with cups and she had no choice. She got over it. Also make him eat solids. Instead of the boob give him baby food or table food. He's old enough for the food on your plate. Try getting him those pouches so it can be like he's still sucking but it's actual baby food. Try buying some that have spinach in it. Target and safeway, and even big lots have a huge variety. But try one with spinach in the mix because I think spinach is high in iron. Hang in there mama!!!!! It seems awful but it will get better. Pm if you ever want to talk. Hugs.
raych415
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:23 AM
4 moms liked this
Okay try what I did. I transitioned her from a bottle to a cup. You transition him from nip to bottle. Buy a few bottles and see what he likes. Make that his only option during the day. If he's hungry he will eat what is offered. I garuntee you

Quoting Anonymous: He had never taken a bottle. He won't even hardly take a sippy cup.

Quoting raych415: I have no advice for weaning of boobs..., as I didn't breastfeed... but does he take a bottle at all? I weaned my babe off the bottle and on to a cup so try weaning him to a bottle. Get the ones with realistic nipples. Do warm milk as long as he has no milk allergy. I made babe quit daytime bottles she only has one at night. I just did it. Replaced her bottles with cups and she had no choice. She got over it. Also make him eat solids. Instead of the boob give him baby food or table food. He's old enough for the food on your plate. Try getting him those pouches so it can be like he's still sucking but it's actual baby food. Try buying some that have spinach in it. Target and safeway, and even big lots have a huge variety. But try one with spinach in the mix because I think spinach is high in iron. Hang in there mama!!!!! It seems awful but it will get better. Pm if you ever want to talk. Hugs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:24 AM
I know how you feel and you're not alone. My son is turning 2 next week and still nurses during the night, but trust me it took alot of work to get him down to feeding sparingly during the day. He strictly nursed until 18 months, then finally accepted baby food, breads and pastas and now he loves snacking more, so with patience and dedication, he will self wean.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:25 AM
Yep! You are so right. I returned to work so he had no choice but to accept a bottle, then cup and eventually solids. It just takes time.

Quoting raych415: Okay try what I did. I transitioned her from a bottle to a cup. You transition him from nip to bottle. Buy a few bottles and see what he likes. Make that his only option during the day. If he's hungry he will eat what is offered. I garuntee you

Quoting Anonymous: He had never taken a bottle. He won't even hardly take a sippy cup.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)