Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A/C Tips please!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

We live in crappy base housing and we have a really old crappy A/C... Well it just runs ALL day and its been so hot here in Florida. I had it set to 73 this morning and the temp in the house was 77. So it wouldnt stop running. As the day gets hotter it just gets worse. Maintenance said its fine and the air out of the vents is 60 degrees.

Its so F'ing hot in here I cant stand it anymore!! We put two ceiling fans in our living room which we have running all day. We put blackout curtains up and not to mention wood blinds to help with the crappy windows.... But its still hot as a hell. What else can I do to keep it cooled off?? It gets up to 80 by the end of the day. If I have to cook its much worse.

The HVAC unit is over 12 years old if that matters.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2014 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_mimimosley_
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM
You can make a little personal homemade ac.
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM
All you can do really is get some fans. Oscillating ones will do more good IMO & they're very cheap. You can put one in every room.
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM

A maintenance man checked it out?? So it wasn't a certified HVAC technician? Your landlord just doesn't want to fix it.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 26, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Quoting KairisMama:

A maintenance man checked it out?? So it wasn't a certified HVAC technician? Your landlord just doesn't want to fix it.

It's base housing, there is no landlord. OP keep calling maintnence and have another guy come out. Other than that there is not much you can do but move off base.

annieb863
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 5:57 PM
It sounds like your ac isn't big enough to cool your space. I had the same problem but our ac unit was leaking freon. Beyond what your already doing I don't have any advice, and in in Florida too. God I hate the heat here.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I would close the doors of rooms you're not using, get tented window film from Home Depot or Lowes to put on the windows to help block the uva rays and make sure your vents are all open and your furnace filter is clean.

Book.Strumpet
by Fountain.Pirate on Jun. 26, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Sounds like it needs a Freon charge. Or the units too small for the area you are trying to cool. 

mary716
by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Hmmmm idk. We have a window unit downstairs in the living room and an 8,000 btu portable in the bedroom and I keep every thing closed. It is 80 here now with a real feel temp of 86 and I cooked in the oven. It's a cozy 68 degrees in here.
ripemango
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 6:12 PM

youtube: swamp cooler

also, open windows and blow cool air into your house with fans starting around 7/8 pm..whenever the temp starts dropping. Take out the fans and close the windows around 7 am. DONT cook during the day AT ALL!! only cook at night. use the microwave or have things that don't require the stove for breakfast and lunch.This may mean cooking for multiple meals at night so that you don't turn on the stove during the day. only run your dryer at night.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

erin708
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Get window units or a portable one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN