Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I a lazy SAHM?!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:50 AM
  • 50 Replies

I am a SAHM and have been for about 18 months now. A couple of months ago I added another child to our home to make some extra money during the day. I'm going to add another after summer break (we have 5 children, oldest though is 13.5). I have a strict daily schedule I keep with the kiddos and am working extremely hard developing their tiny brains and bodies! I treat my SAHM status as a job and take it seriously.

Every day, my dh gets up at 5:30 am to go to work. He has a stressful job as an operations manager of a large flooring company. When he gets home from work, he immediately starts making supper. He feels, seeing as I'm with the children all day long, and have an extra toddler around, I'm working just as hard as he is and wants to contribute to our home. He makes us the most delicious meals. Rarely just something thrown together. Today, he made sweet and sour farmers sausage in the slow cooker, garlic mash potatos and carrots seasoned with a touch of brown sugar. All from scratch. While he slaves away in the kitchen, I enjoy a cup of tea with my feet up and direct the children to dh so I can have a breather.

Last weekend I went out with my mom and she made a comment about how she remembers how tough it is to be a SAHM. Then remarked that I'd never know exactly what it's like because I don't even have to prepare dinner! WTH? And my mil made a snarly comment about how I've got it too good. Kind of makes me wonder if I'm expecting too much from him. Am I a lazy SAHM in your opinion?!

by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Theyre just bitter because they didnt have a wonderful understanding dh like yours ..

I hate close Minded ppl ...

They should be happy to know that you married a good guy and that he turned out to be a helpful Dh ....
TheMessThatsMe
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't sound like you're lazy to me. Sounds more like a dream come true, lol! But if you feel guilty about him cooking all the time, maybe just surprise him with dinner from time to time. I'm an at-home mom and it's work! I'd love to not have to cook some nights!
ms_amanda
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:59 AM

I totally agree! I guess they're old fashioned. It just kind of makes me feel bad... I had no issues with relaxing while he was cooking before my moms comment. Now I feel guilty to just sit back for an hour...

As for mil, I replied "well, you raised a good man" lol She was pleased with this, of course. Her comment didn't set off any guilt the way my moms did...

Quoting Anonymous: Theyre just bitter because they didnt have a wonderful understanding dh like yours .. I hate close Minded ppl ... They should be happy to know that you married a good guy and that he turned out to be a helpful Dh ....

nopenope666
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:00 AM
She's jelly.
BellaAngel8707
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:01 AM
I agree.

Quoting ms_amanda:

I totally agree! I guess they're old fashioned. It just kind of makes me feel bad... I had no issues with relaxing while he was cooking before my moms comment. Now I feel guilty to just sit back for an hour...

As for mil, I replied "well, you raised a good man" lol She was pleased with this, of course. Her comment didn't set off any guilt the way my moms did...

Quoting Anonymous: Theyre just bitter because they didnt have a wonderful understanding dh like yours .. I hate close Minded ppl ... They should be happy to know that you married a good guy and that he turned out to be a helpful Dh ....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:02 AM
Adding children to your home? O.o
feralxat
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:03 AM

If you're a SAHM, you're lazy. 
Accept that people will say this and learn to ignore them.  

anonymom92
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:04 AM

If you're lazy because yours will cook dinner I can only imagine what they'd say about me because mine usually helps clean the dishes! :p

ms_amanda
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Yes, being a SAHM is a job, that's for sure! I honestly thought it would be easier then working full time. It's not!

I will surely surprise him with dinner soon. Maybe once a week. He'd love it! How did I not think of this?! Must have finger paint on the brain again! LOL Thanks!

Quoting TheMessThatsMe: It doesn't sound like you're lazy to me. Sounds more like a dream come true, lol! But if you feel guilty about him cooking all the time, maybe just surprise him with dinner from time to time. I'm an at-home mom and it's work! I'd love to not have to cook some nights!

zoo003
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this

If your dh and you are OK with it, then it is of no one else's concern. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)