Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teaching kids Responsibility

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM
  • 30 Replies
2 moms liked this
Spin off from a reply to another post.

I believe that "kids can be kids" and still learn responsibility. I believe that it is our responsibility as parents to guide our kids and teach them to find a balance between "work" and play.

This means sending them to school and encouraging them to take that Responsibility seriously. Teaching them the importance of getting a good education and helping them do well while still having fun and doing things they enjoy. If they can learn to enjoy school, even better. This also means putting them in charge of caring for their things.

My 2 y/o has a very full and fun life. She has lots of toys and books and movies... We go for walks to the park every day the weather allows, have play dates with other kids, and go fishing as a family. But she knows she has to pick up her toys before bed. And she knows she's going to preschool in the fall (she will be 3) and she can't wait!

Babying your child is not the same thing as "letting them be a child".
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heisenberg
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree! My kids get to be kids and they have age appropriate responsibility.  Both my kids help set the table before meals, they both have a short list of jobs to do on cleaning day, they both have to keep their rooms clean. My daughter is two years older than my son so she also helps with her laundry and sometimes feeds the cat.

Nyk1187
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:35 AM
I have to tell my daughter Not to feed the dog. Lol :)

Kudos to you for helping raise well-rounded kids so they can be responsible adults.

Quoting Heisenberg:

I agree! My kids get to be kids and they have age appropriate responsibility.  Both my kids help set the table before meals, they both have a short list of jobs to do on cleaning day, they both have to keep their rooms clean. My daughter is two years older than my son so she also helps with her laundry and sometimes feeds the cat.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed, it's never too soon to teach them to be a good team/family member and help out with cleaning and chores. Preschool is one of the best gifts you can give a child, it's SO FUN for them and they learn to share and that they actually aren't the center of the universe!

Heisenberg
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:40 AM

I had no responsibilities growing up, just a passive aggressive mom that would bitch that I never did anything around the house. I think structure is important. I also think that without expectations children aren't really given the opportunity to meet them. 

Quoting Nyk1187: I have to tell my daughter Not to feed the dog. Lol :) Kudos to you for helping raise well-rounded kids so they can be responsible adults.
Quoting Heisenberg:

the_dude
by abides on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. At 6 and 3, both kiddos have their age appropriate duties. Education is key and in my case, school is an 24/7 365 thing, as I am able to home school them both.
Littlebunnyfufu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:47 AM
I totally agree. I think keeping it age appropriate (as well as ability appropriate) is the key.

My sm had me taking out the trash when I was still to short to hold the bag up without hoisting it over my shoulder 😳 plus we had like three chores a day 6 days a week in addition to our regular picking up after ourselves starting in 1st grade. It was a bit excessive but I can clean the hell out of a house lol
kylenkodysmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:49 AM
I think I love you. Lol

My mil just thinks I'm the worst mother ever because I make my boys do chores beyond cleaning their rooms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nyk1187
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:51 AM
Yeah... I can't wait. I know she will love it. She never had to go to daycare so it'll be a whole new world.

Quoting Lindalou907:

Agreed, it's never too soon to teach them to be a good team/family member and help out with cleaning and chores. Preschool is one of the best gifts you can give a child, it's SO FUN for them and they learn to share and that they actually aren't the center of the universe!

Nyk1187
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:52 AM
Thank you for sharing that experience! It really says a lot.

Quoting Heisenberg:

I had no responsibilities growing up, just a passive aggressive mom that would bitch that I never did anything around the house. I think structure is important. I also think that without expectations children aren't really given the opportunity to meet them. 

Quoting Nyk1187: I have to tell my daughter Not to feed the dog. Lol :)

Kudos to you for helping raise well-rounded kids so they can be responsible adults.

Quoting Heisenberg:

Littlebunnyfufu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:54 AM
To clarify 1st to third grade my week was like this:
MWF sweep/moop kitchen and bathrooms vacuum remaining floors/dust/dishes (dishes was a shared chore we had no dishwasher)

TuThurs trash/bathrooms/dishes

Sat we swept the apt complex (sm was the manager) it was not a huge complex but it sucked

Sun during the summer we crushed cans for the complex recycle drive
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN