Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this just a seattle thing?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:13 AM
  • 51 Replies
My brother was over a few days ago visiting with the family. I can't remember the whole conversation but at one point he mentioned having to throw out a pair of shoes he couldn't make work for him. He said he put them on top of the dumpster because he knew the homeless guys would want them. Apparently its a sort of signal to them that its up for grabs? Idk...I shrugged it off but it hit me a bit later. That's such a Seattleish frame of mind: rather than making them dumpster dive, just put what you know they will take on top.

It got me wondering as well, is this something you see in other cities?
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:14 AM
I don't live in a big city, and there aren't any homeless people here.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:16 AM
I do it. Especially with toys or clothes that are in good condition. They are almost always gone the next day :-)

Oh I'm in Missouri
pasteeater_too
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:16 AM

I've done that in Cal before like with sweaters.  I also used to crochet small toys with a notes that had a tag that said "take me home and love me"  I left them everywhere.  It was fun.

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:16 AM
How do you know that? Seems like there are homeless pretty much everywhere

Quoting sandra_t00: I don't live in a big city, and there aren't any homeless people here.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:17 AM
Maybe I live in seartle and we leave nice stuff out by the trash with a free sign, most of the time they get taken.
Otterpuff
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:18 AM
I've never seen that in my city but that's a pretty sweet gesture.
shadow_lark
That's cool. Good that some one can get use out of it.

Quoting Anonymous: I do it. Especially with toys or clothes that are in good condition. They are almost always gone the next day :-)

Oh I'm in Missouri
shadow_lark
That's neat!

Quoting pasteeater_too:

I've done that in Caall before like with sweaters.  I also used to crochet small toys with a notes that had a tag that said "take me home and love me"  I left them everywhere.  It was fun.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:18 AM

I have done that on the east coast as well.  Put things on the outside of any public dumpsters that could be reused rather than put inside dumpster.  We also put furniture on side walk and it was almost always gone by end of day.   I bought small snacks for the homeless in the past so they knew it was concealed/never touched and therefore safer than food in a dumpster.

xredstarsx
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:19 AM
I live on the other side of the state in Spokane and we did that when we lived in apartments.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)