Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you take the $10,000? ETA!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 112 Replies
Situation, my dad passed in 2012. He left the house to me, my brother and my mother.

My brother and i each have 30% and mom has the remaining 40%.

She claims that my dad's will was never signed and notarized so it's void. It was signed and notarized, I have a copy.

She also claims that even if it was signed and notarized it is still void because my dad did not put mine or my brothers names on the mortgage or deed to the house.

I'm pretty sure that our names on house is not needed if he declared it in his will.

Either way, mom is planning on retiring back to her home town in Michigan in 2016. Brother and her live together. I have my own family, husband and 3 kids, we live in an apartment and unfortunately probably will not be able to get a house in any near future due to bad credit for him and a bankruptcy still on my record.

Mom and brother refuse to help take care of the house and are letting it go to crap. I want to offer my brother 10,000 for him to give me his 30% of the house after our mom leaves and he can take the 10,000 and move to a small 1 or 2 bedroom apartment that is easier for him to manage or even a rent to own home.

I want the house I grew up in, the house my father worked his ass off to have a great home for his kids.

If you were in this situation would you take the 10,000 and get a place that was better suited for you and at the same time help out your brother/sister with a house for his/her family instead of a cramped 2 bedroom apartment? ?

The reason I say he would be better in a apartment or rent to own home is because he bis lazy and won't even cut grass and won't pitch into to help repair anything. If he rents, it's taken care of for him, 1 less thing for him to cry over.

ETA:: i understand where you all are coming from about his 30% of what the house is worth. I would want the 30% of it too. But from my point of view, why does he deserve the full 30% if he doesn't even care about the house and want to help fix it up now when he does live in it? And I know about the probate and everything, I'm just saying by law or not. If my mom wants to give me the house and put it in my name and etc. I think offering hum 10,000 for him to go get a place of his own is pretty good, especially since the will wasn't probated and technically if my mom gives it to me, I don't have to give him anything if the will isn't probated. 10 grand is a nice amount IMO.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Is the house only worth 30k? Then sure, otherwise no.

waddellfamily
by *NuTTerBuTTer :)* on Jun. 27, 2014 at 11:54 PM
I would take the 10,000 if I was your brother. That is a great idea to get him out. And i am happy people are still like that these sayd. Taking care of what there parents worked there ass off for
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 27, 2014 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Her leaving doesnt negate her 40%.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 27, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Honestly depends on how much the house is worth.
Kimicora
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 11:56 PM
It all depends on your family and how they treat each other. I'm sorry but some family after deaths are assholes. I wouldn't wrong anyone.

If I liked you yes I would take 10k.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2014 at 11:59 PM
We would not get anything for the house. They haven't it in horrible shape. Discolored walls, holes in the walls, horrible ac and heat circulation meaning it doesn't put out in any room except 2 out of 8, disgusting bathrooms, old nasty carpets in a few rooms, the rest of the house has black and white speckled tile from when she ripped up carpet and it has the boarder screws still in the tiles. Half the screens on the doors and windows are ripped up. The bathroom sink is almost completely detached from the wall, the back fence is falling down she has a piece of twine tied around it and staked to the ground. Somehow birds manage to get inside from the fireplace when it is closed there clearly there's a hole somewhere. It is a mess.
Quoting Anonymous:

Is the house only worth 30k? Then sure, otherwise no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 28, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Quoting Anonymous: Her leaving doesnt negate her 40%.

She doesn't care about the house that's why she won't put money to fix it, she's saving everything and just working the next2 years so she can leave in 2016 for Michigan.
kameronsmommy08
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 12:02 AM
The land has to be at least worth 30k.so no
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 28, 2014 at 12:04 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN