Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vacation stories! Funny, scary, romantic...tell me about it!

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:06 AM
  • 4 Replies
3 moms liked this
Growing up as kids in the late 70's money for my parents didn't come easy. Dad worked 3 jobs and mom babysat and cleaned houses just to barely get by. So, when we had the chance to take a vacation it was usually a long weekend camping. My parents weren't really the "roughing it" type so typically we went to campgrounds with facilities. This one particular time, mom was interested in a place that came highly recommended by a friend of hers outside a small town called Bethlehem, Ga. My dad's car was the better choice for taking these trips because it was a hatchback but, it was a complete POS! No A/C and it always burned oil. We made it all the way to Bethlehem which is about 10 minutes away from the campground when the car started spitting and sputtering. My dad managed to coast it onto a small street where it rolled to a stop. I honestly believe in miracles because this particular day, God was there. Literally! It was one of the hottest summers I believe I've ever experienced and both my brother and I knew better then to complain at this point. (My dad is not mechanically inclined). A nice elderly couple happened to be sitting on their front porch when we stopped and they kindly offered their assistance. He helped daddy with the car and she invited us, complete strangers, into her home for fresh lemonade and cookies. Remember when I said I believe in miracles? Here's why. We were in Bethlehem, broke down on Manger Dr and the couples name...Mary and Joseph!
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this
That is awesome!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a lot. I remember being about 6 on out way from California to Ohio and the motor home broke down right by an rv repair shop. The guy was really cool and gave me cookies.
We go camping with friends a lot. One day my friend is in the bathroom right by the site and her dd is asking if she pooping every few seconds. She probably was we frank way too much the night before. That morning we also woke up to about 2 dozen egg shells. Her dh and mine went to town in hard boiled eggs and rum.
Her and I ran from what we thought was a bear on another trip. The same one that her dad got me wasted. It was a bad trip and I needed to relax.
Another trip I was 13 and my mom who never drinks had a few drinks and ended up losing her pants that were around her ankles. My godmother who also rarely drinks did and I found her nearly passed out. I cooked for the campground potluck that night because they couldn't.
Got caught in a monsoon hiking with the friend mentioned before. 5 drenched kids, 3 husbands. Guess who whined the most.
I love camping!
TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Funny - DH and I were at a couples/honeymoon resort.  The rooms where located in buildings spread all over the large property and it was up in the mountains...has a river through it, a lake, trees, etc.  We were heading back to r room late one night after the show at the nightclub.  A few other couples were walking to their rooms at the same time,  suddenly this one woman starts SCREAMING - it sounded like she was being killed.  Turned out she was screaming because a deer was grazing in a field between two of the buildings and she was screaming that she couldn't go to her room because the deer would attack her.  Lol.

billysangel
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Another story. My dh and I decided to take a motorcycle trip to the mountains for our 15 yr anniversary getaway. The trip up was nice, not too hot and traffic was minimal. However, when we got to Helen, it was bumper to bumper traffic for as far as the eye could see. My dh, who's becoming more and more impatient, decides since we're on a bike, he'll just go on the back roads and get away from the traffic. Well, the reason for the traffic was because the Shriners were in town as well and had a parade going on. We ended up in between a vw bug modified into a motorcycle with a biker looking clown driving this contraption and behind us was another biker whose vehicle looked like something from the Addams family! My dh has a very bushy beard and from the ride it was going in all directions so we fit right in. No matter how many times a street came up, we couldn't turn because we'd hold up the parade so we had to finish it out. This will not ever be a forgotten anniversary!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)