• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am sick of my brother's BS!

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:20 AM
  • 61 Replies

Long story short, my brother, his GF and her two kids moved here (FL) from MI about 9 months ago.  They stayed with his dad (my stepdad) about 2 months before moving in the studio here for 4 months.  Not a problem, since they either watched our two kids for rent or paid $300/month.  Then, they found their own house to rent.

Here's the mofo problem.  In the last couple of months- after they moved, they have borrowed $500 dollars, that was 'supposed' to go to our vacation.  They 'promised me' that they would start paying it back on the next paycheck.  That was two weeks ago.  When it was time to give us something so we could have a decent vacation, that- mind you, WE had saved up for, they gave us some mofo sob story about how her EX 'suddenly' stopped paying CS and they didn't have any food- which I found odd, since they get FS (over $200/month) that we don't get.  They do have cable that we don't have (why- we have Roku) and a working clothes washer, which we don't have because ours broke down and part of the money we loaned them was, guess what, our emergency savings!  YAY! 

So, we have a broken washer and we had to cancel the hotel for our trip.  Thankfully, my sister lives in the area and we can stay with her on air matresses, so the NON-refundable convention tickets will still be used, but WTF is wrong that they can't give us $50 if they have MOFO cable (not part of rent)!?  Really?  Shut off the damn cable and give me some fucking money already!

DH says we should just take it as a loss at this point, but I am SUPER pisssed that they have done this to us, with NO thought to our own situation.  IDGAF if it WAS our vacation money, it wasn't theirs to just take like greedy bastards and not repay like they promised!  I swear, I give up on this family.  I am thinking that if they refuse to pay like they said, they are cut the fuck out.  I am done with users.  IDC if I am related to them!  The worst part was, that he was the brother I thought I could count on and now they do this?  I feel so betrayed right now.  I don't even know what to say to them!

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucydiamond
by LD on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:22 AM
I am far too drunk to be of assistance, so good luck!
jkleinman
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sober and still can't help. Lol.

Quoting lucydiamond: I am far too drunk to be of assistance, so good luck!
WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:30 AM

Shit.  I am drunk and pissed.  Is there no one that can help me?  FML

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't loan money to people.

hyper_bunny
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:33 AM
Wow! We don't even have cable. We have Netflix. What is Roku? I wouldn't expect it back and I would be pissed too. Don't lend them money anymore.
kirstn007
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I learned long ago to never loan money. Once you do, don't expect it back. I absolutely do NOT borrow anyone money. I would be surprised if I were go be paid back. You made a very poor decision giving that much money away!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
In.The.Abstract
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:40 AM

Have some more wine. Maybe if we all get drunker it will become funnier.

ranchmama21
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:44 AM

Rule of thumb. Don't give money that is already "spent" (aka: vacation money) and don't loan money out you don't want to give as a gift when they become shady.

I have learned to do contracts with my own family members and any history of debt/repayment issues, are looked at and sometimes "loan" is denied.

You still can have hope in this as a long shot. You can make up a contract with dates when the money is due. You can also tack on interest if not paid by a certain date. Have them sign it and hold them to it. It has only been that two weeks since they was suppose to pay, present them a contract and let it be known you are serious about holding them responsible making it clear they hold your money and if not paid, that is stealing.

WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:45 AM

I already told them we have no more money, so that won't be an issue.  A Roku is a digital converter box that connects to your TV that has Hulu and Netflix on it, connected wirelessly to your internet.  It also has a bunch of other free channels and it's awesome.  We have four now.  They cost about $60 or so a piece, but we didn't get them all at once.  We got one each year for the last 4 years, so it's something we have been working on for awhile.  Cable is NOT a necessity. 

Quoting hyper_bunny: Wow! We don't even have cable. We have Netflix. What is Roku? I wouldn't expect it back and I would be pissed too. Don't lend them money anymore.

WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:48 AM

This, I know, but you expect better from family.  KWIM?  I have NEVER lent ANYONE  this much money and I am rightfully upset.  He was the one I should have been able to count on to pay it back.  I am so disappointed.  It hurts. 

Quoting kirstn007: I learned long ago to never loan money. Once you do, don't expect it back. I absolutely do NOT borrow anyone money. I would be surprised if I were go be paid back. You made a very poor decision giving that much money away!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)