Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do people get so angry?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
When you ask if their baby is a boy or girl? Or, if they dress them head to toe in pink/blue, you assume they are a certain sex, and they get angry when you're wrong.
You can't tell what gender an infant is by looking. They are all just cute little baby blobs.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I always try to find out gender in more subtle ways

"awww, what's this little cutie's name?"

If it's a neutral-gender name I can't figure out THEN I'll ask if the cutie is a boy-cutie or a girl-cutie.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:36 AM
I never had anyone mistake DS for being a girl. I usually ask, unless the LO is head to toe pink or blue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Idk. It wouldn't offend me. The only time I was left smh was at the health department and the lady asked dd's name. I told her Tiffany and she asked Boy or girl? What??!
thetrollcat
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I dunno I just do not talk to other people in public or strangers so I never have this problem :D

rocamom
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:39 AM
If a child has on a pink dress they should never be mistaken for a boy. I used to get annoyed because they are dumb and don't pay attention. If a child is in neutral clothing then I can understand a mistake being made.
Cocomicah
by time lord on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:39 AM
I don't get angry, but it just annoys me at how stupid some people can be. Why blurt out assuming my child dressed in boy clothes is a girl? There are subtle ways to ask this. The actual question it's self doesn't bother me though.
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I think it was about the first time that I mistook a little boy who was wearing pink for a girl, asking the Mom, "She's adorable! How old is she?" that I realized to never assume by the clothing they wear either.

If I could have died from her stink eye, I would have right then and there.

At the same time, don't be so in the dark that you (the parent) become overly sensitive to questions of gender and mistakes being made.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I just call the babies a cutie

mom2hadley
by Jagged Edge on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:44 AM
If I had a nickel for all the times we were out in public and people called my daughter a cute little boy, I would be rich. Her hair just started growing in at three. I would always have her dressed in purple and pink and people would still call her a little boy. Lol
PlaysAllDay
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:45 AM
I didn't when my kids were infants. I did when my oldest was 1+. She was bald until almost 3. It got very annoying when she was clearly in girls clothing, and had on a headband, and was called a boy. It happened all the time with her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)