Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making weight loss goals public on facebook

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:53 AM
  • 25 Replies

Do you think making your weight loss goals public on facebook would give one more motivation to stick to their diet, or would it just make the shame of failing to reach your goals worse? Have you ever noticed a friend on facebook making posts about their weight loss goals? Did they actually lose the weight?

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoisonEyeV
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have anyone on my FB that I don't talk with or dislike...so the chances of anyone giving me any grief about my plans to lose weight would be slim to none. I would get plenty of positive feedback and a lot of " I'm sorry...maybe next time...or you'll get there " if I were to fail.

I'd do the same in return for anyone else.

thetrollcat
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Well... Im not against it but I do think that when people fail it is embarrassing. Probably best to only post when yo uactually lost the weight verses just saying ok my goal is ....

AllieKat
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:58 AM
There's one girl who only uses a few pounds at a time. Thinking on it, it's been a while since she lost any. Any other thought about her past that is mean so I'll stop here.
b1the1change
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:59 AM
I think it depends on the person
SlingsAndThings
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I did that once. Well didn't say my goals just that I was doing OK with the whole exercising more and eating less junk food.

I was immediately bombarded by friends who sell crappie weight loss products, energy drinks, and those wrap scam things.

Never again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:03 AM
I'll be blunt. I think it's stupid.

Too many times do I see the 'I'm losing weight posts' then it just drops. Which is fine but don't post it for the world to see!

There are many social sites for weight loss to help motivate a person without letting everyone in know. Sites that can promote people who encourage you. Personal friends can't say, 'Hey, how are you doing on your goals today.' So the whole motivator is kind of lost.

I'll also add, I've never seen a person actually lose weight after pre-announcing it on FB. Never.
Bubbie0809
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:06 AM

i use my facebook as motivation -  I only have friends on there, so if I don't post about going to the gym or working out in awhile.  I get a friendly nudge from people who know my goals and are supportive no matter what I do. 

Cocomicah
by time lord on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I post about my stuff.. I don't care what people think about me though.. If I fail I fail lol if I don't yay me.. Facebook is more like my journal, I been having it since I was 15 and all my friends are people I actually know. It is nice to get motivation or share tricks and work outs with other people
mewebb82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:16 AM
I have 2 friends who do that. One is doing great but has hit a plateau now. It doesn't really matter much though because everyone thinks she is at her ideal weight and she has become more focused on just staying healthy.
The other is just getting annoying. She's been posting constantly about her diet for I think 3 years now. She posts her goals along with what she's eating and every time she works out (maybe twice a month, if that often). She doesn't just post what she ate, but also a picture of her plate which is always enough for me to eat in 3 meals not 1 and I have yet to see a healthy meal (I was a nutritionist before my 2nd baby). I've watched her gain at least 80 lbs in the last 3 years so she's been posting her diet stuff while going from overweight to morbidly obese. I'd be embarrassed if I were in her shoes but I don't think she realizes how she looks to others.
akemi875
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Im all for it. Let them know how you plan on doing it and maybe you'll find another buddy trying to do the same and you could workout together or vent to each other or something. I use myfitnesspal and yoy can add friends on there so I dont make my weight loss facebook public.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)