Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you pick up stray or hurt animals

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:11 AM
  • 24 Replies
We found a cat under the bleachers at baseball last night. It obviously was abandoned because it wasn't afraid of my son and me and it was still a kitten. Anyway its tail was mangled and she smelled like pee. She was filthy and I didn't want to touch her but I grabbed and old T-shirt and forced myself to pick her up. I was a little shocked that out of about 50 people another lady and I were the only ones concerned. I took it to the pet rescue.

Anyway do you pick up strays or turn the other way
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM

There is no animal rescue around here...so, generally speaking, I don't do anything if I see an injured animal.  Though once DD and I found a box with three baby kittens (maybe a week old, if that) in it -- we took the box to a local vet.

Back when we lived in the states, there was an injured cat in our yard once.  I did cam animal control to come and get it.

Kimicora
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Growing up a good number of my pets were strays I brought home. My parents got them vet work and we kept them most of the time . If the animal will let you pick it up without it hurting you or running from you I'm all for people taking in strays id say most strays become very great wonderful pets because even though they are animals they do know what you did for them.
But I'd never take in a lot of them or not get their vet work. That's bring irresponsible and dangerous
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:18 AM
No I don't. We do not want any pets at this time.
rockgal81
by Steph on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this

We took in 5 kittens from a feral mom last month. They're about 10 weeks old now and I'm looking for homes for them. I don't have the heart to just give them to the shelter, so I'm gonna try like hell to find good people to adopt them. They are ADORABLE! If I saw an injured animal, I would definitely help it. I like animals more than people! lol 

L202M
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I will stop to help a turtle cross the street, so yes, I'll stop for any animal.  (except for big scary dogs, I'm afraid of them).

It's true though...I've seen many people drive by an injured animal while only 2 of us actually stop.  It's sad.

Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:20 AM
No. I call the humane society. I'm not risking diseases or attacks from hurt animals.
cupomeow
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:21 AM
We have some come to our house from time to time. I will put out food and water. They usually eat and go on their way.
latsyrk
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Our shelter is a no kill shelter. They will spay her, get her care and find her a home. I would probably have a zoo by now if not for my only dog being animal aggressive. I would have loved to bring her home

Quoting rockgal81:

We took in 5 kittens from a feral mom last month. They're about 10 weeks old now and I'm looking for homes for them. I don't have the heart to just give them to the shelter, so I'm gonna try like hell to find good people to adopt them. They are ADORABLE! If I saw an injured animal, I would definitely help it. I like animals more than people! lol 

latsyrk
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM
I do that for the ferals. They usually don't want to be messed with anyway...I live in the country.

But this was a kitten. I could tell it wasn't from a feral.

Quoting cupomeow: We have some come to our house from time to time. I will put out food and water. They usually eat and go on their way.
poshkat
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Quoting L202M:

I will stop to help a turtle cross the street, so yes, I'll stop for any animal.  (except for big scary dogs, I'm afraid of them).

It's true though...I've seen many people drive by an injured animal while only 2 of us actually stop.  It's sad.

I just stopped to help a turtle the other day. I have helped injured birds before and have picked up stray cats and lost dogs but haven't in a long time because I haven't come across any
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)