Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So glad I don't work food service.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
Last night I was a volunteer at a food booth at the horse track. It was to raise money for our organization. Today I am so freaking sore. People were yelling, some barely spoke English and expected I knew what they wanted. Then there were the kids being sent up to order.

Between the 6 of us we made $60 in tips for serving beer, hotdogs, and nachos. Plus soda and candy. We only worked for tips. So five hours of ass busting work and we didn't clear $100.

I will never get testy with a food service worker again.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:15 AM
That's why I got out of working food service and why you see so many burnt out waiters and waitresses. Its hard work that's for sure!
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Food service is definitely an adventure. I go out of my way to be nice and tip, I know how hard that job is.
Texor
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Imagine doing that full-time, every day....for $7.25 an hour.  And then getting told you don't deserve more money because you're an unskilled worker.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:33 AM
I've done it in my late teen/early twenties. It's not worth the pay, even if you are management.
nopenope666
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Nine times out of ten that is sooooo true. But I worked for Bonefish Grill not too long ago, and was making 100$ a day in my tip out as a hostess...can you imagine what their servers were making?

I bartend a few days a week now, and easily make 200$ a night, and that's after splitting it with two other bartenders. So I think it mostly depends on the place you work for.

Quoting Anonymous: I've done it in my late teen/early twenties. It's not worth the pay, even if you are management.
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I personally think that it would do a lot of people a lot of good to work in food/customer service. It does wonders for your general attitude. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)