Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I cant take my son ANYWHERE....help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 85 Replies
I really don't know what else I can do to control him . Its getting to the point where I can't take him anywhere at all. He's 6 years old with severe adhd and pdd nos . He's verbal and doesn't look special needs at all which is why people are never understanding.

He doesn't listen to me . Everytime I have to take him out anywhere I cringe because I know something is going to happen.

Its summer he likes to go to the park as does my 9 year old dd . He's too aggresive at the park. He hits kids ,pushes them and sometimes they're older and they hit him back and he runs to me crying. I tell him to stop putting his hands on people. He won't. I get angry parents wanting to fight me over my son hitting their kids! I apaologize to them and try to sit him down for time out. He runs away from me ....kicks me...and he even spat on me once when I tried to grab him to control him . Yesterday an older kid walked up to me and told me my son spat in his face. I was mortified. I apologized and went to grab my son. I yelled at him for spitting and he told me he didn't care. I had to leave at that point . Dd9 was upset because she made friends and had to leave them because ds was once again ruining her good time. Dd is also autistic but she's an angel she is never a problem . She just has trouble making friends so it really upsets her when she finally finds kids to play with and we have to abruptly leave.

Two days ago we had to go to dd's orientation at 5:30...we had to ride the subway train during rush hour traffic so it was super crowded. I told ds to hold my hand ..he refused and had a temper tantrum I tried to chase him and he ran in front of two men ..causing one of the men to accidently fall into the other..the man he fell into was super angry and hit the other man for the accident! I was so upset! I yanked ds and told him he's going to hold my hand because he just caused a fight! He continued to be a brat.

I've done everything to try to control him ...I've spanked him, taken away his toys,computer and video games , I've threatened to not take him places like the amusement parks...nothing works! He says okay mommy ill be good but the second he's at the park or steps outside he runs away and it never fails...he always does something at the park to another kid.
A couple weeks ago he hit another little boy and the boy beat the crap out of him. I told him don't hit the boy again and leave him alone..he didn't listen he went back and hit him again and the little boy beat the snot out of him. I was so fed up at that point I just let the little boy hit him hoping he'd finally keep his hands to himself once he messes with a kid that will fight back..

Nope...didn't work.

Anytime I take ds ANYWHERE he does something ..he's making other parents want to fight me and I don't want to fight anyone ....yet I can't keep him and dd locked up in our apartment all summer . Its not fair to dd.

Before we enter the park I tell ds the rules and he says okaky but it never fails he does something
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Texor
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:26 AM
3 moms liked this

1.) Behavior therapy....NOW

2.) Why are you "threatening" things?  Don't take him.  How many time does he have to promise to behave and then act up before you get the message? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Have you tired positive reinforcement?  Reward the behavior that you want instead of constantly punishing the behavior that you don't want.  Some kids respons better to rewards than punishment.

So instead of threatening to take away the amusement park, make it a reward.  If he can behave while playing in the park for 3 days, then you will take him to the amusement park.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:28 AM
He gets services at his school but behavior therapy isn't one of them. He's on adhd meds but they don't help with his behavior.
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like he needs behavior therapy and medication.
morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:29 AM
First off, I don't have a special needs kid, but he sounds out of control, is he that way at home, too? He needs consistent punishments (I'm not saying corporal, either) and probably an adjustment to his medicine. I'd start with his pediatrician and therapist.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Put him on a leash.
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
So take him to therapy yourself. The school isn't responsible for all your child's therapies.

Quoting Anonymous: He gets services at his school but behavior therapy isn't one of them. He's on adhd meds but they don't help with his behavior.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:30 AM
I'm a single mom and its to the point where were not allowed at any of my family member's houses..they can't control him and he caused a kitchen fire last week. My mom stove and countertop was on fire. He walked in the kitchen turned the stove on and walked out smh
latsyrk
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:30 AM
I would find a sitter and take my older child to the park and other fun things. Do you just threaten or has he ever actually had to stay?

I agree with the pp , he needs therapy
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:31 AM
I will research behavior therapy ...I hope I can find a place that accepts medicaid.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)