• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question to a nurse from a nurse

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
I work in a transtional care/ post acute/ short term rehab (or whatever your area calls it) we recently got bought out and the new company made some staffing changes that our nurses dont agree with, the company says we are still graciously staffed but since I have never worked anywhere else I have nothing to compare it to. Im wondering what is your patient load and do you have a charge nurse or do you do all of your own calls/ admits/ discharges as well. This new company wants to bring us up to 17patients per nurse, we accept tube feedings,ivs,tpn, wound vacs, chest tubes, trachs, dialysis, so these arent simple ortho pts either, but we do get a charge to make calls/ transcribe orders. So do I really have it good comparatively or are they trying to screw us?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Bump
MorganTho
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM
My mom worked ICU/PCU and her care load was no more than 5 pts per nurse. She worked for an agency at another hospital and she had 9 at the most in the ICU, but she had 2 cnas working with her. She said it was still horrible though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Not a nurse, so here's a bump.
TygrrEyz
by Marie on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM
I have no clue. I am a tech at a behavioral health center and know the type of things and patient load required of them but I doubt it will help you so here is a bump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM
I'm no nurse, but I do work in an LTACH, and our nurses patient load is no more than 5 pt to one nurse, plus a charge nurse who assists and, depending on the charge nurse and pt load, will take one critical pt. 17 seems really, really excessive for the kind of care required.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM
That seems a bit much. 17 patients with high needs, per nurse?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Is that even safe???
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes per nurse, before the new company we averaged 10, ive had 14 recently and been getting 1-2hrs overtime because I cant finish my work. Im ready to look for a new job.

Quoting Anonymous: That seems a bit much. 17 patients with high needs, per nurse?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Our staffing is horrible. On our rehab unit there are 3 nurses and 3 CNAs between two halls. Though we often end up with just 2 CNAs. Each nurse has between 12-16 patients. We also have a nurse from 12-8pm that does the admits but if someone comes in before or after her shift we do our own admits. At one time we had 2 nurses and 2 CNAs on each hall. Our last state inspection staffing was one of our tags.
Avajay2
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:13 PM
No that is not average. It's been a few years since I worked but the worst night I ever had was when we had 15 patients and were doing team nursing (two nurses working together). One of did assessments and charted and the other did medicines. We worked together on dressing changes and had a cna for vitals, bed changes, bathroom assistance etc. I can't imagine 17 patients on my own at that level of care.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)