Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am beyond frustrated!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
Dh and I have been struggling to make ends meet. We both have been trying to secure better jobs and as of yet have had no luck (jobs here are hard to come by and we can't afford to move). Dh is working a dead end job making barely above minimum wage which is a huge step down from where he was 2 years ago. He worked for the schools but was fired when the new superintendent started (she fired 90% of the non union staff with no explanation). Dh had been there almost 10 years and made good money. When he lost his job I went from my part time minimum wage job (which I worked for fun money) to a fulltime job making $9/hr. I have had several raises over the last 2 years but we are still struggling. Dh applies for ever job he can and I apply for everything I can that I qualify for. The problem is that for every job there are hundreds of applicants. I broke down and applied for assistance because we can't keep up. We got denied and I really don't know what to do at this point. I'm at a complete loss. This is what our budget looks like.

$3300 (gross pay mthly) this includes my bonus that I get almost mthly and Dh's side job that he makes about $200-400/mth from (sometimes more but not often). The only issue with his side job is that it is a 1099 so we have to offset what isn't taken out of his pay there by having more taken out of our checks at our regular jobs in taxes. As it is we had to pay in to state this year.

$1030. This is what is taken out of our checks each mth for taxes and insurance. I lose roughly $700 of my gross pay mthly to taxes and insurance. The rest comes out of Dh's.

$650 rent

$500 daycare (for one child who was already born before shit hit the fan)

$250 phones and car insurance

$350 gas for both vehicles for the mth

$300 utilities (this is an average). I always budget $300 a mth for utilities. Whatever is not used on that mths utilities goes into a special bank account set aside for mths when the utilities are above $300. This has kept us from having issues paying the utilities for 2 years.

If you've kept up with the math this leaves $220 for everything else. Including food. We don't have extras. No cable, no internet. We have to have our phones for our jobs. We have the bare minimum when it comes to car insurance. Yet we qualify for absolutely no help. The system is seriously broken.

I don't know what to do anymore. We've been dealing with this for two years now. I'm not sure how much more I can take. I just needed to vent my frustration since Dh is sick of listening to me.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:33 PM
City jobs and someone works nights-you get medical, dental, life and by someone working nights reduce daycare costs. City jobs are also more stable and you will pretty much have to die or retire to lose that job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Are you talking about working for a municipality? If so they don't pay worth a damn around here. I've applied for several jobs with the state government and with the county. They pay well. Neither of us can work a job that would have overnight hours due to medical reasons. I can't work anything beyond a desk job due to back and knee problems and dh has severe asthma and can't work any kind of factory job. The last one he had (right out of high school) nearly killed him. His doctor won't clear him for a physical for a factory job.

Quoting MixedCooke: City jobs and someone works nights-you get medical, dental, life and by someone working nights reduce daycare costs. City jobs are also more stable and you will pretty much have to die or retire to lose that job.
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:45 PM
I work nights at a police department handling all the arrest reports, etc. aka desk job at night at a city AND medical, dental, life, retirement, etc.

Quoting Anonymous: Are you talking about working for a municipality? If so they don't pay worth a damn around here. I've applied for several jobs with the state government and with the county. They pay well. Neither of us can work a job that would have overnight hours due to medical reasons. I can't work anything beyond a desk job due to back and knee problems and dh has severe asthma and can't work any kind of factory job. The last one he had (right out of high school) nearly killed him. His doctor won't clear him for a physical for a factory job.

Quoting MixedCooke: City jobs and someone works nights-you get medical, dental, life and by someone working nights reduce daycare costs. City jobs are also more stable and you will pretty much have to die or retire to lose that job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:51 PM
I think you missed where I said the cities here don't pay worth a damn. For the kind of job you are talking about that you do they seriously make a dollar or two more per hour than what I make now. It wouldn't be worth it.

Quoting MixedCooke: I work nights at a police department handling all the arrest reports, etc. aka desk job at night at a city AND medical, dental, life, retirement, etc.

Quoting Anonymous: Are you talking about working for a municipality? If so they don't pay worth a damn around here. I've applied for several jobs with the state government and with the county. They pay well. Neither of us can work a job that would have overnight hours due to medical reasons. I can't work anything beyond a desk job due to back and knee problems and dh has severe asthma and can't work any kind of factory job. The last one he had (right out of high school) nearly killed him. His doctor won't clear him for a physical for a factory job.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Nope you are missing the point because you get medical, dental, life, retirement AND job security. It isn't about the initial take home it is about the overall fringe benefits!

Quoting Anonymous: I think you missed where I said the cities here don't pay worth a damn. For the kind of job you are talking about that you do they seriously make a dollar or two more per hour than what I make now. It wouldn't be worth it.

Quoting MixedCooke: I work nights at a police department handling all the arrest reports, etc. aka desk job at night at a city AND medical, dental, life, retirement, etc.

MicheleJM
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I would ask a tax advisor if you wouldn't be better off setting aside money out of the 1099 and having less taken out of your paychecks.  Furthermore I'd check into help for daycare.  Some offer scholarships or look into Head Start.  Florida has free voluntary pre-k but I can see you're not in that state.  500 a month for daycare is damned good though.  I'd also get the absolute cheapest plan I could find on the phones.  I pay 59 a month with T-Mobile and 1g of data. Or dump the data and it's 30 with Boost I think or 40 with MetroPCS.  If you have a child on the reduced lunch program in Florida comcast had a really cheap internet program.  I didn't look into it but I heard about it.  GL.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:00 PM
I already have medical, dental, life and retirement through my job. Dh has some benefits through his as well although not great ones. I'm pretty sure insurance is mentioned in my post with the dollar amount of $1030/mth that is taken out of our pay for taxes and insurance. The issue here is take home pay. We don't take home enough to cover all of our needs. Which means we need jobs that offer benefits equivalent to what we have now AND a larger gross pay. You are the one who missed the point of the post.

Quoting MixedCooke: Nope you are missing the point because you get medical, dental, life, retirement AND job security. It isn't about the initial take home it is about the overall fringe benefits!

Quoting Anonymous: I think you missed where I said the cities here don't pay worth a damn. For the kind of job you are talking about that you do they seriously make a dollar or two more per hour than what I make now. It wouldn't be worth it.

venessaw04
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:00 PM
can you work opposite hrs, to cut down or eliminate child care
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Well I paid my way through college waitressing and bar tending. I'm just trying to help. It's hard out there for everyone.

Quoting Anonymous: I already have medical, dental, life and retirement through my job. Dh has some benefits through his as well although not great ones. I'm pretty sure insurance is mentioned in my post with the dollar amount of $1030/mth that is taken out of our pay for taxes and insurance. The issue here is take home pay. We don't take home enough to cover all of our needs. Which means we need jobs that offer benefits equivalent to what we have now AND a larger gross pay. You are the one who missed the point of the post.

Quoting MixedCooke: Nope you are missing the point because you get medical, dental, life, retirement AND job security. It isn't about the initial take home it is about the overall fringe benefits!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Ds is 6 and doesn't qualify for Headstart. He's already in one of the least expensive daycares in the area. I wish i could get help with that bill. After rent it is by far the one that is breaking the bank. We do have the cheapest plans on our phones as well. We pay $90/mth for unlimited everything (that's for 2 phones) and both phones can be used as WiFi hotspots so we use that if we need the internet. We have a laptop but rarely use it.

It's actually better to have it withheld from our checks. We tried it the other way and ended up owing both state and federal for the 2012 tax year. For the 2013 tax year with it being withheld from our regular pay we only owed the state and it was a whopping $51.

Quoting MicheleJM:

I would ask a tax advisor if you wouldn't be better off setting aside money out of the 1099 and having less taken out of your paychecks.  Furthermore I'd check into help for daycare.  Some offer scholarships or look into Head Start.  Florida has free voluntary pre-k but I can see you're not in that state.  500 a month for daycare is damned good though.  I'd also get the absolute cheapest plan I could find on the phones.  I pay 59 a month with T-Mobile and 1g of data. Or dump the data and it's 30 with Boost I think or 40 with MetroPCS.  If you have a child on the reduced lunch program in Florida comcast had a really cheap internet program.  I didn't look into it but I heard about it.  GL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)