Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

losing the battle

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
My 18 month old still nurses quit frequently even though we have been trying to get him to wean since he was 13 months. Other than postponing his nursing sessions I don't feel like we have made any progress. He eats table food very well...eats everything we eat and drinks plenty of cows milk from his cup but still begs to nurse. I try to tell him no but he literally throws a tantrum crying and pulling at me. He also started waking a lot in the night which makes everything even harder when I'm just so exhausted. I have no problem with extended nursing if that is what u want to do but my husband and I want to get pregnant again soon and I don't want to nurse while pregnant or tandem nurse. Help! What can I do? How to I wean a baby from nursing for comfort?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
12345abcde54321
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Just so you know, your kid will not stop at the breastfeeding tantrums. Might as well get used to saying no and letting your kid scream about it now, because it doesn't really end until they're a little older. You can actually decrease the amount of time you spend listening to tantrums by insisting that no means no rather than giving in to get the tantrum to stop sooner.

mama232011
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Mine is 22 months geze not sure how that happened I only let him nurse once a day or when he's in pain
cntrdmom
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:34 PM
I had to let my youngest spend 2 days at my mom's while I slowed my production way down. Then I just said no every time. We had already been decreasing nursing sessions for a while. She weaned at 19mo. I really needed my body back. I was over extended as it was.
Getting pregnant could help. My milk always dried up during pregnancy. It's how I weaned my boy. I was pregnant with the youngest and my supply dropped.
pce68
by Patti on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:37 PM

If you don't want him to nurse in the daytime, you have 2 choices: either say no and listen to the tantrum or use a lot of distraction - keep him so busy he doesn't have time to ask to nurse.

Personally I would say stop trying to get him to wean right now and wait a few months. When he is closer to 2 it may be easier to reduce the number of nursing sessions, and maybe wean him altogether.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:38 PM
18 months starts separation anxiety. I gave mine my sleep shirt for comfort which worked great though soon she was trying to steal them right off of my body! LOL
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM
It would be easier if I wasn't with him so much..my husband works as a fireman so is gone 24-48 hr shifts and then works days at a golf course. Very seldom am I away from him. I hate that he reaches down my shirt and tries to pull my nipple out...hurts like hell. I always thought if he was weaned from a feeding he would be satisfied with food or cup and not begging for it? The pediatrician says to replace a nursing session with food or cup of milk but not working with him..he eats or drinks then comes to me.
katcb1019
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Mines the same way. Ds is 18 months and throws the same tantrums. He eats and drinks regular food very well but he still wants to nurse constantly. I basically tell him no and walk away at this point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM
That what I am hoping. . Thanks!

Quoting cntrdmom: I had to let my youngest spend 2 days at my mom's while I slowed my production way down. Then I just said no every time. We had already been decreasing nursing sessions for a while. She weaned at 19mo. I really needed my body back. I was over extended as it was.
Getting pregnant could help. My milk always dried up during pregnancy. It's how I weaned my boy. I was pregnant with the youngest and my supply dropped.
suzanneyea
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM

First step, cut him back to only at night and nap time. No more free access. 

ccnstanczak
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:50 PM

at the end of my breastfeeding my girls i would only nurse at naps/ bedtime. if they asked during the day i would give them a snuggle and say that "mamas" are for night night and ask if they wanted to go to bed. if they said no i would ask if they were hungry and that i have another ymmy snack for them. if that didn work i would just hold them and love on them until they stopped being fussy and then they wanted down and went off to play or whatever.

comfort him (hugs and snuggles) and redirect him/offer him something elses and remind him that nursing time is later (at night night) and repeat calmly and eventually he will learn pretty quick. just be patient with him..weaning is all about transition and change and he needs something to replace nuring with that is comforting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)