Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any one else?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
I am a 29yrs old mother of 5. I want to go back to school and get my degree to become a veterinarian. I finally have 4 out of 5kids in school and have someone to watch my 1yr old. Can it be done still? How long does it take to become one? I want to set a good example for my children.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Bump
RitaTequila531
by *JuStRITa* on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this

My mother is almost 60 and she's a junior in college right now.  It's only too late when you're dead.  Reach for the stars Mama, you can do it!

and

I wouldn't worry about doing it just to set a good example; you're doing that everyday by being you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much.Lol I am glad I won't be the oldest person going back to school

Quoting RitaTequila531:

My mother is almost 60 and she's a junior in college right now.  It's only too late when you're dead.  Reach for the stars Mama, you can do it!

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM
I would pick a different career. Vets come out of school with as much debt as doctors and are the number one profession to default on their loans because they are unable to get a job.

Research before you decide.
redneckmama4
by Loree on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM
My Nana got her nursing degree on her 50th birthday, in 72.

You can do anything you set your mind to. There's no age limit :)
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM
I'm 32 getting my BSN.

Quoting Anonymous: Thank you so much.Lol I am glad I won't be the oldest person going back to school

Quoting RitaTequila531:

Pink_Sunshine_
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM

You can always take your 1 yr old to class with you. Most Colleges/Universities have child care. I know my Community College does. Thankfully all 3 of my boys will be in School this September. I'm going to schedule my classes around their time in school. 

Otterpuff
by mouse on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Bump. I go to a school that has a vet technician program that's a year and a half long, not sure about just the veterinarian
Maime13
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I'm assuing you have a Bachelor's already. If not, that's step one.

Do you have a veterinary school in your area?

There aren't a ton of them and they are tough to get into. I heard once that it's tougher to get into vet school than medical school. Makes sense since there are tons of medical programs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Omg I didn't even think of student loans. I know someone who is school for Law and has that very same problem right now

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2: I would pick a different career. Vets come out of school with as much debt as doctors and are the number one profession to default on their loans because they are unable to get a job.

Research before you decide.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)