• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I neuter all my neighbor's cats without their consent.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 404 Replies
17 moms liked this

It's perfectly legal and within my rights to do it.  In fact if the neighbors were following the law, I wouldn't be able to do it.

I set out raccoon traps every day and trap whatever neighbourhood cats I can.  If it's got tags, the cat gets a treat and released.  If it doesn't, it gets brought home until Thursday.  Thursday whatever cats are in my garage (which is set up for this purpose with heating/ac) get brought to the vet's and neutered.  Then they come back to my house until the following Thursday.   I never allow more than 6 cats in recovery AND waiting, so there are only ever max. 6 cats in the garage.

They are kept in individual 2-level cages (each cat has 2 levels). 

At the vet they get neutered, their ears get a small cut in them, and they come back home.  I administer pain meds and keep them for one week to ensure full recovery.  Then I release them at the trapping site.

So, neighbors sometimes notice their cats go missing for up to 2 weeks, and they come back with a shaved belly/no testicles and a nicked ear.

Oh well.  If they neutered, tagged or just kept their cat indoors it wouldn't happen.  They can thank me for the free vet care covering their irresponsibility :)

I find the people calling me names and insisting what I do is illegal quite amusing.  It's a well known city run program, employed all across north america.  

In many states it is legal to have stray cats euthanized when trapped. Many TNR programs have a policy of testing for FIV and euthanizing if tested positive. I do neither of those things.  I simply pick up strays and neuter them, vet them if needed and put them back.

If one does not want their animal taken by a TNR team, then ensure your cat has a collar with their tags as is legally required.  Otherwise, how are we to know which cat is a stray and which isn't?  

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jupiter5
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:17 PM
6 moms liked this
That's awesome! I wish I had the time and. $$ for that. It's a good thing you are doing
Mamabear010
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM
7 moms liked this

Can i be your neighbor? Woo free neutering! That'll save me some money!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM
I posted about doing this a little while back
Mamabear010
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Quoting Anonymous: Why do you mutilate their ears?

It's to tag them as ferals. It's actually quite common in areas with a large feral cat community.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM
That is the easiest way to show the cat has already been fixed.

Patti-Gee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh look its another anonymous posting, about their douchebaggery. 

jupiter5
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM
It seems harsh but it's an important part of the neuter release program. It's a way to ID that they have been fixed without having to catch them. Also it's hard to tell on females because the scar gets covered in fur.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not mutilation, and it's for the greater good.  It's so the trappers can tell they've been neutered already.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM

It's being a douchebag to help the feral colonies in my neighborhood?

Interesting.

Quoting Patti-Gee:

Oh look its another anonymous posting, about their douchebaggery. 

MomtoJTAN
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM

This again? Yawn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)