Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Neutering neighbors cats.

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:26 PM
  • 72 Replies
8 moms liked this
Apparently a lot of you are clueless about TNR and the rules/laws surrounding it.

1. If your cat is allowed to roam the streets with no ID (at least where I live) it is considered a stray cat. Even if the cat has a chip. It needs VISABLE ID. Some vets don't check for chips unless asked to do so.

2. TNR allows people to capture stray/feral animals, alter them, and then return them to their place of capture.

3. It is NOT "stealing" to capture a stray cat, no matter who it "belongs" to. On a separate note. It's not stealing to capture a stray cat and keep it as your own housepet. Strays are considered community property. If you feed it, it's yours in many areas. Although attempting to find out if it has an owner would be the nice thing to do.

4. If your cat is captured and taken to a local shelter or rescue group we MUST alter it. It's actually a law that no animal shall leave our care without being altered except in certain circumstances.. Same goes if we find your dog. It will be fixed before leaving us, no matter how much of a fit you kick up. Sorry. Laws may vary from place to place.

If you want your pets to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors there are plenty ways to do it without allowing them to roam the streets. But if you choose to let them roam, you forfeit the right to complain when the animal gets captured, or worse.
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:33 PM
BUMP.
Mom2Boys9501
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:37 PM
They started that program here not too long ago. Before that the city was catching them and killing them. Personally I think they should take them to the farm in the next town over.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:40 PM

My city started doing it in the past year.  Every month, if you bring in feral/stray cats they will spay or neuter for free as well as all the shots.  They will even provide you with live traps to do so.

I have a neighborhood roamer who just had a litter in the woods next to my house... you better believe once they are old enough I'm rounding em up and taking them in.  

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:41 PM
But then the farm will be over run with cats. The only reason they stopped simply euthanizing feral animals is because people complained that it was unethical. They do it this way so the population will just die out on it's own.

Quoting Mom2Boys9501: They started that program here not too long ago. Before that the city was catching them and killing them. Personally I think they should take them to the farm in the next town over.
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:42 PM
It's really the best thing to do. There are just so many cats over running neighborhoods. In certain places in my area everywhere you turn you see a new cat.

Quoting Anonymous:

My city started doing it in the past year.  Every month, if you bring in feral/stray cats they will spay or neuter for free as well as all the shots.  They will even provide you with live traps to do so.

I have a neighborhood roamer who just had a litter in the woods next to my house... you better believe once they are old enough I'm rounding em up and taking them in.  

crumpy_gat
by No. on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM
What is TNR?
elfling811
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM
I feed three strays that come around here. One little boy needs to be fixed. I will be looking into that this week. I bet my vet down the street would give me a good deal. I don't think we have one of those programs here. I don't mind paying for him to get fixed. He has no tags and I feed him. I get to take his balls. LOL
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Trap. Neuter. Release.

You use a baited trap to capture the animal, then you take it in to a vet or shelter participating in the program, and when the animal has been vaccinated and altered you put it back where it came from.

Quoting crumpy_gat: What is TNR?
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:47 PM
LOL.

Quoting elfling811: I feed three strays that come around here. One little boy needs to be fixed. I will be looking into that this week. I bet my vet down the street would give me a good deal. I don't think we have one of those programs here. I don't mind paying for him to get fixed. He has no tags and I feed him. I get to take his balls. LOL
Mom2Boys9501
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:49 PM
The farm that I'm talking about is a place where families go to play putt putt golf, eat ice cream, and pet the goats and things. The people there take care of the cats. And I was talking after they were fixed.

Quoting AliKatAK47: But then the farm will be over run with cats. The only reason they stopped simply euthanizing feral animals is because people complained that it was unethical. They do it this way so the population will just die out on it's own.

Quoting Mom2Boys9501: They started that program here not too long ago. Before that the city was catching them and killing them. Personally I think they should take them to the farm in the next town over.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)