Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newborns and Babies can NOT be lactose intolerant

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
Is what one of the pediatricians told me at the office I take my son when I asked if he should be switched to soy or a formula for milk insensitivity. Is he an idiot?

The reason I ask is we've tried two different kinds and he's always gassy (badly) and spitting up. Well last night we took him (he's 5 weeks tomorrow) to the ER because he was screaming all day like he was in horrible pain. Nothing I did would help so the on call nurse sent us there. The ER doctor is guessing he might be lactose intolerant! But remember, the pediatrician said that's impossible.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nonyobizniz
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Get a third opinion and go with the winner

Also; try LOWER IRON formula, it for some reason is easier on tummies
mmtosam06
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow the ped is an idiot

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:27 PM

All 3 of mine had to be on Soy as infants. Thankfully they are all able to have milk now. My mom was the same way when she was a baby. Once she hit 2 yrs old, she was fine to have dairy. I'd definitely switch and see what happens.

MotherLady
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Try cutting all dairy out of your diet for a couple weeks. That way he's still getting the benefit of breastmilk. If he's intolerant of lactose, this should help him too.

Bieg9093
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Lactose isn't the usual culprit in babies' dairy intolerance.  It's the proteins.  Regardless, my first did much better on soy than on breastmilk or milk-based formula.  Only way to know is to try it.

EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Yes they can but it is very rare. Just because the pedi said it, doesn't mean it's right.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM
That's what I thought. I'm switching.

Quoting mmtosam06:

Wow the ped is an idiot

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this
He's an idiot. My dd had latching issues and I increased dairy in my diet (I shouldn't have listened to everyone's not so helpful advice). When breastfeeding failed I put her on formula. She had colic. She screamed and cried all the time. I just knew something was wrong so eventually I took her to the ER (after a whole day/night) of her screaming and acting like she was in pain after the pediatrician said she was fine). The ER suggested we give her soy milk and with a few days she was like a different baby! She didn't constantly scream or have tummy aches. Now DD is 6 and if she drinks/eats food with a bunch of lactose/milk she gets belly aches. Her GI dr told us to keep her lactose free. Some kids have sensitive tummies.
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Doesn't sound like she's nursing, since they've already tried two different types...

Quoting MotherLady: Try cutting all dairy out of your diet for a couple weeks. That way he's still getting the benefit of breastmilk. If he's intolerant of lactose, this should help him too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this
That PED is an idiot! I was in hospital so sick I almost died because they didn't know what was wrong and I couldn't keep down any breast milk or milk of any shape or form. Not even formula. Turns out they discovered I was very lactose intolerant. Thank God at 3 I outgrew it for a while. Didn't become intolerant until adulthood .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)