• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So PISSED at my FIL. Went to late lunch there and this happened

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 535 Replies
Dd is 4 and has been a problem eater since she was a baby. Lately, she's in a phase where she wants to eat everything with her hands. do I love it? No. Do I go with it so at least there's some food in her belly? Yes.

DH's family is so stuck up. Every meal there is like a formal affair and I hate it. DH always goes along with what they say and do.

Today, they served pasta for lunch. It was spaghetti noodles. She started eating with her hands and my FIL asked her what she was doing. She said eating. He told her to use her fork like a grow up. She said she liked eating like he said, no, in this house we eat with a fork. she started to look upset, looked down at her plate and kept eating. He got up and took her plate away and said she could eat when she could use her fork and have some manners. She cried and I tried to say something to him, but he just said it his house, his rules. DH backed him up in all this- he's away during the week a lot and doesn't have to deal with her eating.

I'm so livid. Who is he to try to force her to eat his way, and who was he to take away a child's plate when they were eating? Gah, ruined my Sunday.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
uhhnogirl
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:27 PM
63 moms liked this
Shame on him for trying to install manners in your child!

Get a grip.
SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:27 PM
68 moms liked this
Oh come on, she is 4 and more than old enough to know better. Stop catering to her and teach the kid some fricken' manners!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:27 PM
15 moms liked this
Honestly I think I'd have a problem with a four year old eating like a two year old too.
Amybelle
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:28 PM
14 moms liked this

Sorry but at 4 spagetti with her hands is ridiculous

giroirk
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:29 PM
6 moms liked this
I'm sorry I agree with you're fil, she is 4 not 1. I would make her use silverware.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:29 PM
12 moms liked this
Sorry but I agree with him his house his rules and if your husband was okay with it you need to deal. You are the mom amd you.can and should enforce her to use manners. If she is truly hungry she will eat like she is suppose to at four she is old enough to know better and to eat using manners. She does it because she knows you will let her.
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:29 PM
27 moms liked this

Well, he is right - his house his rules.

With that said, I do not make food a battle and, well, my kid, my rules. That to say this... I would have told him he doesn't dictate my daughter's eating, and I would have left with my child immediately.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:29 PM
7 moms liked this
She's 4.

If my 18 month old can wield utensils(obviously not perfectly) well enough to get food to her mouth a good portion of the time, there's no excuse for your preschooler to have piss poor table manners.
rockinmomto2
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I have a 4 year old. She's been using her utensils herself since she was just under a year old. I can't imagine her still eating using her hands. 

Lo428
by get over yourself on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Umm....he wasn't wrong. She's four ffs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)