• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

am i out of line to be annoyed at this? gay pride stuff

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 706 Replies
2 moms liked this
My sister in law has a cottage 2 hours north of the town we all live in. She invited us up this weekend. In the city we're a suburb of, there's lots of gay pride stuff including a parade this weekend. Her stepson is gay. She knows we're conservative Christians and how we feel about that (not interested in a debate on that)- homosexuality is wrong, not to be celebrated, but we can love the sinner.

When we got there on Friday night? Gay pride flags up everywhere- one on the deck, one in the living room, one on the boat. My sons are 8 and 10 and didn't know what they were, which caused an awkward conversation. She refused to take them down when I asked and it caused tension, where she basically said on Saturday "leave if it bothers you". I told her I felt like she was personally attacking our beliefs, she said I was being ridiculous

My hubby got mad at me for saying anything at all to her. Was I so out of line to be annoyed or say anything to her?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:24 PM
116 moms liked this
You're allowed to believe whatever you want to believe. .....but, so is she. You were out of line, IMO
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:25 PM
94 moms liked this
You were WAY out of line. You were rude and offensive to your hosts. You should be ashamed of yourself.
SerpentsKiss
by Erica on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:25 PM
36 moms liked this

It's her home. She can hang all the gay pride flags that she wants.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:26 PM
35 moms liked this
Yes, you're out of line for telling her what she should have up in her own home. Why are you even asking us this. You know dang well you're wrong.
CABZS
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:26 PM
54 moms liked this
Um her home and you ask her to take HER stuff down and you think she was the one personally attacking you? No that is on you, you personally attacked her and her son.

I hope your children learn to be better than you. I also hope you realize you are a sinner as well.
mlg1989
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:26 PM
24 moms liked this
You were out of line.
It is HER house and you are a guest.
I think you should educate your children on it anyway and turn it into a lesson of tolerance.
You cant shelter them from the world, if you feel as if those values are important then you need to explain it to your children. They will see gay people. Its bound to happen and unavoidable.

ANYWHO, you were out of line and very rude considering you knew about the pride parade.

An0nym0use
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:27 PM
12 moms liked this
Yes, you were extremely out of line by even THINKING of asking her to remove them. Her home. Her beliefs. You're the one belittling someone, not her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:27 PM
96 moms liked this

If she came to your house and the crosses made her uncomfortable would you remove the crosses and any religious things for her? Would you hide your bible?

If not why do you expect her to change for you?

Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:27 PM
3 moms liked this
It's her house. Get over yourself.
myshoes
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:27 PM
23 moms liked this
She shouldn't have to take three stuff down. What is wrong with saying "that flag is showing that miss Gretchen supports her son and his beliefs. Just like when people fly the American flag to show that they are patriotic and support the beliefs if Americans." And then
LET IT GO
LET IT GO

I mean, I have friends who display FROGS everywhere!!!! I hate frogs but whatever. I don't have to love frogs to go boating and have fun with friends.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)