• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dearly Departed Furbabies

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:48 PM
  • 5 Replies

So I was going through some old photos and I was looking at some of animals that we had that have passed away. I am the kind of person that doesn't see them as pets but as members of the family. I still grieve for them. I'll share some of my favorites. Share your own. 

Dolly is always the first on my list. She was the best dog anyone could ever ask for and she is the dog that I have compared every other dog I have owned ever since. She was a toy poodle. My mother bought her for me when I was 8 years old because I needed a friend and she certainly was that friend. She never knew a stranger or an enemy.She was gentle and loyal and never left my side. I even trained her as a therapy dog and took her to nursing homes. She was a great comfort to ailing and dying patients. She would get up on the bed with them to love on them or lie with them and she was a wonderful confidant. Many times, I saw depressed patients who were unable, or unwilling, to get out of bed insist on going out into the hallway to see her preform her tricks. I even won an award in college for a story I wrote about our nursing home work. We had to have her euthanized two days after my 18th birthday because she had a heart attack and was slowly dying and there was nothing they could do. The best they could do was prolong her life for another month or so but there would have been no quality of life. It broke my heart and I still think of her every day. No other dog will ever measure up to her. This is a picture of Dolly from our vacation in Pigeon Forge. I was 16. The two little kids are my 4 year old niece and nephew (they are not twins. They are cousins and not even biologically related, lol). The boy is 13 and the girl is almost 13 now. 

This is Lacey. All of my more recent pics were lost when my old computer crashed. I was 2 in this picture, lol. We had to euthanize her when I was 15 because of severe arthritis and an incurable liver condition. She was a sheltie. She was a wonderful dog as well. She was protective and loyal and very intelligent. 

All of these dogs have passed away except the big red dog with the curly tail. She is my current dog. She was still a puppy in this picture. 

The big golden dog is Angel. She was a retriever/chow mix. She was our "Stray that came to stay". She was my other nursing home companion. I used to take her to their physical therapy and she would rest her head on the patients' laps. The doctors told me that they believed the patients tried harder because she was there. There was an old man that suffered a stroke and couldn't even open his hand but told me that he was detirmined to regain use of it so that he could pet that sweet puppy. Sadly, he passed away before he could. Patients in cognitive therapy (I think that's the word) would read to her to help build up their eyes and brains after accidents or strokes. She also performed tricks for the patients. She walked me to and from the bus stop every day and made sure I got home safely. 

Maddie (the little brown dog) was also a therapy dog for a little while, until she went blind and became skittish. She was a Morkie. She lived to be about 15 years old.

BB (the white dog) was a Cockapoo. She was my mother's dog. She was almost 16 when she passed away. She was always watchful of the children and would come and get us if they cried. 

I'll add more in the comments.

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Neko_Nightstar
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:52 PM

This is Suki. She was our "Little Mama" (the little floosy got pregnant three times before we could catch her and get her spayed). She was a great momma kitty and she even adopted an orphaned kitten and raised him as her own. She went on to care for other kittens even after she was spayed. She had a lot of personality. Her best buddy was my husky mix. She loved to play in the water and go for rides in the car. She also thought she was a tiger. Our neighbor's pit bulls were scared shitless of her. She died at 4 years old of unknown causes. 

Neko_Nightstar
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:56 PM

This is Marble. We got him when he was only a few days old and bottle fed him. He died just after is 19th birthday. He was a sweet and cuddly 20lb hairball. We loved him dearly. 

Neko_Nightstar
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:19 PM
BUMP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Neko_Nightstar
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM

BUMP!

XxMandazX
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)