• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you creative or well read?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

I'm writing a Fiction book and need some help. I don't want to give too many details of the book itself but here is what I need help with.

I thought I remembered reading something somewhere about something that was torn in 2 and brought to two different areas of the world. I can't remember if it was mythology of some sort or maybe my overactive imagination is trying to convince me that I read that somewhere but in actuality it's my own thought. I can't really give much more detail. I can't remember if it was an object torn in 2, a heart, a person...

I need to know what it was in order to continue my book. I'm hoping it was something I read in Greek/Roman/Egyptian Mythology. Any ideas?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

bump

JenGo
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:25 PM

soul mates. The story is that souls used to be one, but was then torn into two separate people and now we are forever looking for the second half of our souls.

squeekers
by squeekers on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I like this post about how there are 3 types of soulmates:

http://www.nightworld.net/strangefate/soulmate.php

sm1bm3
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Osiris was torn into pieces and scattered across Egypt. Isis found all the pieces and put him back together.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Soulmates come immediately to mind. One soul, ripped in half and we search for our other have throughout our lives.
autodidact
by Snarknado on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:31 PM

I would imagine that that is a theme in multiple legends and myths

JenGo
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:31 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulmate

Here, this is a quick explanation of Plato's soul mates.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM
That's used a lot in fiction. One very popular example is the separation of Luke and Leia in Star Wars.

I think it kind of matters what your intentions are for the "torn" object(s). Does it reduce their power/potency? Are they being separated for their protection? For the protection of others? Is the separation accidental or intentional?

You really don't seem to remember enough to pin it down, which may make it hard to help you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Thanks for the questions. I'm going to try to put my thoughts in order better and hopefully that will help.

What I am thinking of was seperated into 2 pieces because as a whole it ('it' could be an object or person) was too powerful. The two pieces were then brought to opposites "corners" of the world. If the pieces were brought back together it would be the strongest weapon (maybe?) in the world.

I'm hoping that there is an actual myth about this as I am wanting to tie this into my story line. If not I will have to create a myth specifically for my book. I'm ok doing that but I like to incorporate actual myths into what I write. It brings a sense of familiarity for the reader...

Quoting Anonymous: That's used a lot in fiction. One very popular example is the separation of Luke and Leia in Star Wars. I think it kind of matters what your intentions are for the "torn" object(s). Does it reduce their power/potency? Are they being separated for their protection? For the protection of others? Is the separation accidental or intentional? You really don't seem to remember enough to pin it down, which may make it hard to help you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:56 PM
The soulmates of Greek myth is the big one that comes to mind. But as other responders have said it probably plays a major role in many myths. Just the fact that god(s) and humans don't interact would be the same thing-two things kept seperate to prevent excess in power. The hidden object could be another example, like the holy grail?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)