Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

They expect so much from 5 year olds. I'm afraid that my son wont pass. He's a smart little boy but hes only 5. A friend of mine told me that he will be expected to count to 100 by the end of the year or they wont pass him, he cant even count to 30. That and he will have to learn to spell words, he cant even pronounce half the words they expect him to be able to spell. He has a speech issue when hes around a lot of people. He gets nervous and slurs his words, when hes at home and not around a lot of people he pronounces things just fine. That and he will be learning math. I'm just nervous :(

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heisenberg
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:06 PM

He'll be fine. That's a huge year for development. He'll be reading by next summer. You'll see.

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't be nervous. You'll be amazed at what kids FINISH Kindergarten knowing, that they didn't when the year started. ;)

.PinkHart.
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:08 PM
They really don't expect too much, they expect age appropriate skills. They also have an entire school year to TEACH him these things and intervene if they see he isn't grasping it. If you think he's that far behind, put him in prek.
jlm2676
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:19 PM
If your son has speech delays, does he go to a speech therapist? My 5 year old ds has speech delays and has gone for the past 2 years. Big improvement. Anyway because if his speech he was specially tested for kindergarten. He will spend 30 minutes a week with a special education teacher when he starts school.

Ds barely knows his ABCs and can only count to 10, yet I am so excited to watch him learn when he starts kindergarten.

Hopefully your school district will work with you and your ds so he has every advantage to learn.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Sounds like normal expectations to me.
Cassie2115
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:26 PM
Dd learned to count to 100 in prek and can spell some words. She's learning how to sound out words too. She just turned 5 in March a and will be starting kindergarten this fall.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Just breath :)

They wouldn't expect it if most kids weren't capable of it.

If he's behind, he's behind.

The teachers will work with him, don't worry.

He has a year, you may be surprised of what can happen :)

Does he go to preschool? Some kids learn much faster around peers, some learn worse.
amandajoy21
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:30 PM

He'll be just fine. Once he gets in the classroom the teacher will work with him on his strengths and weaknesses and he will catch on quicker than you think. It is also a different environment and if his teacher notices his nervousness she will work with him to get the best results.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:30 PM
I have the same fears. Hoping my son will do ok.
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM

He'll be fine :) It's like just suddenely they pick things up quickl and learn and learn and learn.

But you are brave to bring this up on here. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)