Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sometimes life isn't what we think

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

I feel so lost. I want to find a career. But I have no idea how to do this. I feel stuck and honestly it's making me depressed. I'm a single mom now and I need to figure out how to get out of this horrible job I am at and get a real career

* I just want to think all you women for helping me and not bashing me.  I have two things I am narrowing it down to.  My mom keeps telling me to do Phlebotomy, since its only a month or two of schooling and I would be able to find a job.  But I am thinking of doing Optical Technicia, which is a 9 months program and it cost a quite bit more, but I feel that it will have a better opertunity.  I have no idea how to find out which one is better in my area.. if anyone could  help me figure out which would be better I would greatly appreciate it.  I live in Southern California Riverside county/San Bernardino county even LA county I am kind of in the middle of those heck even Orange county. I appreciate any input anyone can give me :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:50 PM
Look at job ads and apply.
Kaaden
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:55 PM

See a career advisor, they will help you to identify your skills, likes and desires, then match that to a job.  They'll even help you to find that job!

you can do the same with the book what colour is your parachute, or the website kiwicareers.govt.nz.  

Do some blue sky thinking, write down anything you have dreamed of doing, no matter how silly.  You will spot a trend in there, be it people, animals, numbers etc etc.

google different jobs, you need to find out what they are like on a day to day basis.  Don't give up, the perfect thing is out there waiting for you!

good luck on your new adventure!

Hubris_Huntsman
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:58 PM
What she said.

I used What Color Is Your Parachute years ago and found it very helpful.

Quoting Kaaden:

See a career advisor, they will help you to identify your skills, likes and desires, then match that to a job.  They'll even help you to find that job!

you can do the same with the book what colour is your parachute, or the website kiwicareers.govt.nz.  

Do some blue sky thinking, write down anything you have dreamed of doing, no matter how silly.  You will spot a trend in there, be it people, animals, numbers etc etc.

google different jobs, you need to find out what they are like on a day to day basis.  Don't give up, the perfect thing is out there waiting for you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Quoting Hubris_Huntsman: What she said.

Quoting Kaaden:

thank you so much! I appreciate that no one bashed me. I need to look up the books. I really need to get my butt moving before I'm 30
Hubris_Huntsman
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM
I'm glad no one bashed you either. I found that choosing a career was the hardest decision I ever had to make. I think its totally normal to feel lost about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Kaaden:

thank you so much! I appreciate that no one bashed me. I need to look up the books. I really need to get my butt moving before I'm 30
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Where do u find a job counselor

Quoting Kaaden:

Smh77
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Get online and find career aptitude tests. It's incredible how accurate they can be. You might fall into a category that you can find a program to train on the job, or a quick school program. Can you go to college? ALWAYS a great example for moms to show their kids. Never a guarantee job getter, but, always a self esteem booster!
Hubris_Huntsman
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:13 PM
From what I know - Community college - there may be fee if you aren't enrolled, google your state, county, city to see if anything is offered, or you could hire a private one but that could be costly. There could be other ways that I'm not familiar with.

Quoting Anonymous: Where do u find a job counselor

Quoting Kaaden:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:16 PM
I just feel like my whole world is falling apart and i want to change it but am afraid that I can't it's silly and stupid and i took the first job I could get at mcds but a year later I'm not gonna get higher than a swing. And I don't want to work there. I am gonna do some research about those books and when I can get home to my computer I'm gonna look up the website I have to move forward
Quoting Hubris_Huntsman: I'm glad no one bashed you either. I found that choosing a career was the hardest decision I ever had to make. I think its totally normal to feel lost about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Kaaden:

Hubris_Huntsman
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:21 PM
With that motivation and determined attitude I'm sure you'll succeed. I think you should be excited for your future!

Quoting Anonymous: I just feel like my whole world is falling apart and i want to change it but am afraid that I can't it's silly and stupid and i took the first job I could get at mcds but a year later I'm not gonna get higher than a swing. And I don't want to work there. I am gonna do some research about those books and when I can get home to my computer I'm gonna look up the website I have to move forward
Quoting Hubris_Huntsman: I'm glad no one bashed you either. I found that choosing a career was the hardest decision I ever had to make. I think its totally normal to feel lost about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Kaaden:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)