Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cheap, healthy recipes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
While I'm used to not making it pay to pay in the summer, apparently this summer dh is not getting any freelance from his Netflix gig (unless they are waiting till last minute). Summer is always very lean for freelance work. Yes he has regular ft job.

But anyway, if any of you can, please share some cheap healthy recipes so I can not have to serve the same things 3-4 days in a row, lol.

Pancakes, eggs, pasta, and French toast are on the list already, but I'm having serious brain freeze on recipes.

**there are nut (all nuts) and seafood allergies in my household.

Thank you to ask willing to share and help.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:20 PM
I love to do a roaster chicken one day for dinner, then use the leftover chicken to make soup or chicken and dumplings. On hot days, you can do it in the crock-pot instead of the oven.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Sadly, :*( I think chicken and beef aren't going to be in the budget unless I can find it under $3/lb, not easy here.

Quoting smorgan865: I love to do a roaster chicken one day for dinner, then use the leftover chicken to make soup or chicken and dumplings. On hot days, you can do it in the crock-pot instead of the oven.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Lentils and rice is yummy. Spice it up and add a green side!
Mom2five87
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM
That's a new one, thank you!

Quoting Anonymous: Lentils and rice is yummy. Spice it up and add a green side!
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:26 PM

ham & pineapple kabobs. Get a hamsteak (1 usually feeds 2 people) and a can of pineapple rings or even better a fresh pineapple. Cut the hamsteak and the pineapple into cubes, alternate on skewers. You can brush with a honey-mustard glaze to get it nicely browned. 

Hamsteaks are around $2, pineapples another $3 (or a can for around $1).

Serve with green beans and a salad. Yum!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Thank you for the bump

Quoting Mom2five87: Bump
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Roaster chickens are usually much cheaper than cuts of chicken. At my one grocery store they are only 89¢ a pound. I can get good size chicken for $5-6. 

What area do you live in? What stores do you shop at?

Quoting Anonymous: Sadly, :*( I think chicken and beef aren't going to be in the budget unless I can find it under $3/lb, not easy here.
Quoting smorgan865: I love to do a roaster chicken one day for dinner, then use the leftover chicken to make soup or chicken and dumplings. On hot days, you can do it in the crock-pot instead of the oven.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Ooh, my husband will love that! He's not a huge ham person, but likes pizza with pineapple and ham. I know, he's an enigma. But the combo is one he'll like.

Quoting smorgan865:

ham & pineapple kabobs. Get a hamsteak (1 usually feeds 2 people) and a can of pineapple rings or even better a fresh pineapple. Cut the hamsteak and the pineapple into cubes, alternate on skewers. You can brush with a honey-mustard glaze to get it nicely browned. 

Hamsteaks are around $2, pineapples another $3 (or a can for around $1).

Serve with green beans and a salad. Yum!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)