• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sister is pregnant but won't admit it.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Today was my baby shower and I hadn't my sister in a couple of months. My cousin pointed out that even though she was wearing a roomy shirt there was a very visible bump. Her navel is also protruding.
She's 20 and already has a ds that's 1 1/2, so I think maybe she's not telling anyone because she's ashamed? I'm so, so worried for her. I talked to my mom about it (sis and bf live with her), and she says she has suspected it. A couple family members asked about it, but she just shuts down and gets angry. Sis and ds had a lot of serious complications during pregnancy, and she needs to get prenatal care ASAP. I think she's too far along legally for abortion at this point if she wanted to go that route.
I really want to talk to her about it, but I don't want her to shut me out. She needs someone in her corner, and it's taken years to build the relationship we now have. My heart is breaking for her because I can see how depressed she is, and I just don't know how to approach her.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlg1989
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe she just put on weight and by everyone insisting she's pregnant might be making her feel like shit.
I know I would if my sister and friends kept saying I look pregnant when I'm not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:44 PM
My sister is tiny. And an innie. Apparently the bf has hinted to my mom that she needs to go to the doctor "badly," but wouldn't elaborate. I pray it's just weight gain because I know how hard it will be on her. If not, I just want her to say something so we can help her!

Quoting mlg1989: Maybe she just put on weight and by everyone insisting she's pregnant might be making her feel like shit.
I know I would if my sister and friends kept saying I look pregnant when I'm not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Maybe she just isn't ready to say anything. She will tell everyone when she is ready.
mlg1989
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Well that's kind of suspicious then.
Hopefully if she is then she gets help asap.

Quoting Anonymous: My sister is tiny. And an innie. Apparently the bf has hinted to my mom that she needs to go to the doctor "badly," but wouldn't elaborate. I pray it's just weight gain because I know how hard it will be on her. If not, I just want her to say something so we can help her!

Quoting mlg1989: Maybe she just put on weight and by everyone insisting she's pregnant might be making her feel like shit.
risa_xc
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Have you tried to talk with her alone? Maybe she's just gaining weight
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:46 PM
I hope it's soon. She had to have injections when pregnant with ds1 to slow his heart and needed a lot of extra care. I don't want anything to happen to her.

Quoting Anonymous: Maybe she just isn't ready to say anything. She will tell everyone when she is ready.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Take get out for lunch and s little shopping. And just casual asking her hows she's been and stuff. Maybe she will admit it. If she is and had a lot of problems the first time around maybe she's just scare.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM
I'm trying but she shuts down or dodges questions. We didn't know about ds1 for a few months, and she delayed care then too. I don't think she's trying to be irresponsible, but she's just scared. No one will disown her or anything. We aren't exactly fans of the bf, but we've always been polite. We all want to support her.

Quoting risa_xc: Have you tried to talk with her alone? Maybe she's just gaining weight
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:06 PM
How do you know she's not already getting care?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:51 PM
No job, no transportation, no money. She has no way to take herself. My family would have to take her.

Quoting Anonymous: How do you know she's not already getting care?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)