Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Revamping our Diet...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
So my birthday present was finding out I have high cholesterol. I'm 28. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head. Anyway, I'm going vegetarian. We all are. So what are some ideas for new meals?

I feel like I should go to a self help group.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Just realize you don't need to go that extreme. You can reduce without having to completely cut out.
907PickleMom
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Vegetarian is not necessarily the best course of action. Start slowly. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Use meat as a side. Reduce processed, packaged foods. Be aware of how much salt you are using. No soda. Single ingredient, made from scratch food.
mrsrodgers0703
by Emerald Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM
My main advice for going veg is to make sure you keep it balanced. It's really easy to start leaning on carbs and not enough protein.
Dolcepsle
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Don't go cold. Slowly eliminate it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:41 PM
We already don't eat alot of red meat so its not much to cut out. And after talking to my dad, its familial too.

Quoting Anonymous: Just realize you don't need to go that extreme. You can reduce without having to completely cut out.
Lilfranks
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Start out slow try doing meatless Monday. First
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Well I've made the jump to soy milk. And my dh has already started researching about replacing stuff with beans. What other sources for protein are there? We are a nut free house, btw.

Quoting mrsrodgers0703: My main advice for going veg is to make sure you keep it balanced. It's really easy to start leaning on carbs and not enough protein.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Did you know skinless chicken and turkey are low in cholesterol? You don't have to go completely vegetarian.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:15 AM
I'm leaning toward no red meat vegetarian. Still eating chicken and fish.

Quoting Anonymous: Did you know skinless chicken and turkey are low in cholesterol? You don't have to go completely vegetarian.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:21 AM

My Mom is a vegetarian, has been for over 40 years and her cholesterol is over 300. Just sayin.... Sometimes it takes more than diet changes. Genetics play a large role.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)