Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Other parent's misbehaving children... do you speak up or keep quiet?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you speak up or keep to yourself when someone else's child acts inappropriately?

Options:

Speak up

Keep to self

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 53

View Results

If you happen to be outside and other kids in the neighborhood are saying inappropriate things or using inappropriate language, do you speak up to those kids and tell them they are being inappropriate or do you just leave them alone?? What about if their parents are present? Are not present?

I personally will speak up to them, especially if my young daughter is outside with me. I can't stand it. There was a middle school boy who told some little girl to suck his **** right in front of my neighbors little boy and I went off.

In another instance, a little boy was making fun of an older lady and I flat out told him to stop being disrespectful and that if he wanted to say something about her to go say it to her face. Needless to say, he doesn't act like that around me anymore. lol.

I know these kids aren't my children, but they obviously don't have very good role models or anyone to tell them they are being inappropriate.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
FireCoyote
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Speak up. DH actually has other peoples' permission to get after their children if they're doing something they're not supposed to.
L202M
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's best to speak up. These kids need to know that just because their parent's aren't around that they can act badly.  It falls under "it takes a village", which I totally agree with.

My dh said that when he was young, he had to worry about what neighber would see him doing bad things, or if one of his mom's friends would see him. Just because his mom wasn't around, he still couldn't misbehave. He said that it kept him in check.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:21 PM

What if you were at a park, for instance, and some kid was using vulgar language around your child, would you say something to them then? Talk to their parents? Or still keep quiet? Just curious, thanks for sharing :)

Quoting fullxbusymom:

In my home I say something.  In public I do not.  We don't have neighbors so I don't have issues such as yours. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Quoting Anonymous: If they are not in my care, i have no business saying anything to them.

What if your young child could hear their vulgar language or inappropriate actions? Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I speak up especially if i know the child(ren).  I expect that their parents would correct my dd's behavior if she acted badly.

Yes, same here! I've had one of my neighbors tell me to set their kid straight if I heard foul language coming out of their mouths. lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

As a teacher, it is hard for me to ignore poor behavior.  I often don't have to say anyting, I just use the "look".  If the look doesn't work I will say something.

I am a therapist that works in the school with children, so like you, I also have a hard time ignoring poor behavior. I work with kids with behavioral problems all the time, so perhaps this is why I'm okay with speaking up to the kids. Thanks for sharing.

momto2boys973
by Emerald Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Keep it to myself. Not my kid, not my problem, unless it affects me for some reason.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:29 PM
I will stay quiet and not look like a nosey asshole.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:31 PM
I have this problem with neighborhood kids. But if there not in my care or in my yard then it's not my place. We just go into the back yard if they are out. Same with adualts.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous: If they are not in my care, i have no business saying anything to them.

What if your young child could hear their vulgar language or inappropriate actions? Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
It really depends on the situation. If they are going to end up getting hurt or hurt someone else then yes I say something but other than that not really
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN