Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A SECOND LONG UPDATE! I cried in my car at the store today.. Updated!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Long story..

My children were both sick earlier this week and are just over it.    We'd been house-bound in this beautiful weather and I'm still sleep deprived but I agreed to take the kids to the playground, library, and store because I feel bad that we've been trapped indoors.

By mid-shopping trip my daughter was done!   D.O.N.E.  She was whining constantly and I was rushing.

I grabbed some items on autopilot for WIC and went to check out.

I have checked out at this same grocery store 500 times with the same exact WIC items.  I should have gone into a familiar cashiers line but I was in a hurry.  The cashier I got was training and the assistant manager was nearby to help with the new cashier.

Something beeped on one of my items and he turned to the manager.  She said she didn't think my item was a WIC item.  I said I've bought the same exact item 500 times at this exact store.  I said I asked them at WIC about this item because at a notehr store they told me it wasn't a WIC item and the counselor told me it was a WIC item and if a store said it wasn't I was to tell them that it was and they need to call them to update their numbers (because WIC items change).  

She then asked me if I wanted her to take down my name and information so she could call WIC and tell them I was giving her (specifically) a hard time, did I know she used to be a counselor at WIC and they know her over there??  This felt almost threatening, like if I call them they will take away your WIC!

She looked really irritated!

My daughter started to fuss and so I told her "Go right ahead and call them.. I simply am telling you what they told me which is to have you guys call them.. In the mean time please just go get whatever it is you think that I can have instead and check me out".  

She left for a minute and then came back (it was 7 pm so WIC is closed) she said "I called them and they told me that you need re-educated about what are and are not WIC items.  This is the brochure.  They told me to insist you take one for future reference."  I was mad so I told her "No thank you.  I already have one of those."  She gave me a death glare and shook it at me and repeated that I "obviously do not know which are and are not WIC items and need one of those brochures"  I said "No.  I do not want one.. Just leave me alone, NOW so I can finish checking out."  Her jaw dropped so I repeated myself "Please, just leave me alone now. Please, just leave me alone now."  She guffawed and stormed off!  

I was so angry.  I was shaking.  I checked out the rest of the way and went to my car and nursed the baby and cried to release the anger.  

There is no way she called WIC.. Their office hours are til 5 ..  It  was after 7.. 

I don't think I want to shop at that grocery store anymore.   Even if I was wrong about the WIC item.. I feel like I was spoken to like a small child and I was condescended to and told they were calling people about me in a threatening way.   I am not an idiot.  Even if WIC changed what is and is not okay since they've told me that it is okay there was no reason to speak to me like that... 

UPDATE:

I called the corporate office yesterday and WIC today.

The manager called me at home.  He basically said he spoke to her about how she could handle things like that in the future and that he would like to be can't discipline her yet because he had a formal talk with her and they are Union so if she repeats the behavior then they can fire her..   He also told me she won't be at that store past August 1st.. but I just cannot bring myself to go into that grocery store again until she is gone..  

I called WIC and she did not call them about me.

He said multiple times that he was sorry and if there is anything he can do I should call him.  He said he recognized me and could see how upset I was on the tape.

I don't know what he thinks he could do for me?

LONG UPDATE TWO to a very long story!!

So I don't qualify for WIC anymore.  My hubby got a new position and we probably will never qualify for WIC again because of income.

That's not really the update, though!

I said before that WIC said that she hadn't called about me.  

Well my office had said she had not when I spoke to them.   However, I got a letter in the mail a couple of weeks ago from an investigator at WIC who wanted to speak to me and wondered if I would speak to her even though I didn't qualify for WIC anymore.  I said sure.  We sat down today to talk.

Apparently,  and the investigator did not say WHO called but I know who did, the cashier called WIC and told them that I was ""shouting"" at them and said angrily that I was going to go to another store and exchange my WIC items for non-WIC items, both of which I remember are things it clearly states in the WIC guidelines you can't do or you'll lose your WIC benefits.

I stated the series of events, that I had not shouted at anyone and that I had never said anything about exchanging my items.  

The investigator asked me why I thought someone would say that I was shouting and that I said that if I hadn't. I said probably because she said she used to work for WIC and knew their guidelines and she was probably upset because I reported her to her manager and got her into trouble.  I suggested that she call the manager, who had seen a tape of the encounter and I had been visibly upset but clearly I was not in a shouting demeanor, and talk to him about this because he had been very, very apologetic.  I gave her the branch and store location and the managers name..   She said she would speak to him.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when they talk.  I can only wonder what will be said.

And, I cannot believe this dare I say rotten to the core assistant manager.  Not only was she unnecessarily rude and super nasty to me just because I wanted her to just check me out that day and call local WIC at her leisure to verify about some peanut butter that my WIC office still maintains IS a WIC item.. but she actually got vengeful for being held accountable for her mean behavior and called WIC investigators and LIED about me to try to get food stolen out of the mouth of a toddler.  She had no way to know that I wouldn't qualify anymore anyway but I am quite sure she knew she could have gotten my benefits taken away if the WIC investigator hadn't believed what I was saying.  

The investigator told me after she mails me a letter to sign about what actually happened if I ever needed WIC again I would be able to apply normally.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Unless you know what each city and state approve you can't comment that they don't approve something. My wic covers natural peanut butter as well, a few states over my sister's does not

Quoting Anonymous: Wic does not allow anything natural so yes, your counselor was wrong. Looking at the brochure wouldve told you this if you didnt get snooty back with her. And if the register wont allow it and a cashier puts it through, the company can lose their ability to offer wic items.

Quoting Anonymous:

But I SPECIFICALLY asked my WIC office and the counselor if the natural peanut butter was okay or not because I prefer natural peanut butter because of the sugars and the type of fats used.   They told me that natural peanut butter was fine and if a store disagreed to check out but tell a manager (this was a MANAGER) to call the WIC office in question and speak to one of the counselors because they should be coding the natural peanut butter with all the rest of it because it is covered under our WIC.  

Either my counselor was wrong (which is not my fault) or the manager was wrong (also not my fault) .. 

I could have come off as bitchy because I was frustrated that I wasn't just being checked out but that doesn't mean she should threaten me, write down my name and WIC ID# whilst dramatically looking up at me for effect every few seconds, storm off, and then come back and say she called that WIC office when there is no way it was possible at that time.

Quoting Anonymous: Yes it matters because the natural peanut butter is not covered. I would still complain about how she spoke to you but also you need to realize that you did make a mistake and that even if you weren't trying, you could've come off just as bitchy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Natural peanut butter...

And Welch's 100% white grape peach juice..

Does it really matter??  If they explained that the items have possibly changed and maybe I am just mistaken I would not have been angry.  She threatened to call WIC because I was "giving her a hard time" and made it sound like calling them would mean something bad since she was going to take down my name and information and call them specifically about ME ...  Just because I insisted once that they were WIC items and I suggested she call them and ask them because that's what they told me to tell them (about the peanut butter) .     The juice I was sure I have read it is a WIC item but maybe they changed it and I was tired of discussing so I just told them to go get different juice. 

Quoting Simplemamma4: What was the item?

Mamabear010
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Soo she worked at WIC and now is a cashier? Um, probably wasn't too good at her job then.

Yeah, talk to the manager and keep going up if you have to. She was completely out of line. There was no need to get an attitude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I'm scared she's going to call them tomorrow since she wrote down my name and WIC ID number.

Isn't the saying it's not what you know but who you know??  This would not make you even a tiny bit nervous? 

Quoting emandab:

If she didn't talk to anyone and lied to you then how is it possible that they would take away your WIC based on what she said?  And no, even if she talked to them, she herself cannot get your WIC taken away.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I  called corporate..  but should I also go in person to talk to a manager tomorrow after I speak to WIC and hopefully they reassure me that she could not make it so they take away my WIC ? 

Is in person better?  Or was calling corporate about it enough? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM
4 moms liked this

how about pay for your own things the next time? If it is not covered, it is NOT the cashiers fault , understand?  At least she has a job, does not sound like you do.  Am I correct?  My dd used to be a cashier and she said that WIC was a major PIA. and many on PA had major attitude problems about it .  Stop trying to get people to give you things you are not entitled to.   I would NEVER put up a fuss about something like this , especially since you are getting a bunch of freebies anyway.  That is something I never got .  Do you think she should have given you it even though it is not allowed?  Calling corporate office?  Entitlement at its best.

DylansMommyXo
by Daggy on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Sorry you had a bad day! Definitely
talk to the manager tomorrow.
myperfect4inok
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Mobile Photo

WIC is a federally funded program. And according to their site they do allow natural peanut butter. States and grocery stores can't make up their own rules.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

lol, bashing her for being a cashier now.  At least she HAS a job, right?  The OP was very wrong too you know.  It is true that you give these people so much and they want more and more.  Many people on PA have major attitude problems.  My dd told me the many stories about it when she was a cashier and she could never say anything nasty back to them, unfortunately.

Quoting Mamabear010:

Soo she worked at WIC and now is a cashier? Um, probably wasn't too good at her job then.

Yeah, talk to the manager and keep going up if you have to. She was completely out of line. There was no need to get an attitude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the attitude the cashier must have had and why she thought she should speak to me that way.  

I'm sorry that my husband's place of employment burnt down, taking all his tools, and they cut his over time permanently and the cost of groceries have gone up so much we were debating about shutting off the heat in April.  I broke down and got WIC to help and it really does especially since I breastfeed.

My husbands new job turns out to pay better so we can get off WIC in a few months.  

You're mean.

Quoting Anonymous:

how about pay for your own things the next time? If it is not covered, it is NOT the cashiers fault , understand?  At least she has a job, does not sound like you do.  Am I correct?  My dd used to be a cashier and she said that WIC was a major PIA. and many on PA had major attitude problems about it .  Stop trying to get people to give you things you are not entitled to.   I would NEVER put up a fuss about something like this , especially since you are getting a bunch of freebies anyway.  That is something I never got .  Do you think she should have given you it even though it is not allowed?  Calling corporate office?  Entitlement at its best.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

fired for what? The cashier cannot give her things that are not covered.  Natual peanut butter is not covered.   The op was very wrong for making a big deal out of this.

Quoting kailu1835: I would go back and discuss this with her manager. If i were her manager she'd be fired, immediately.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I would complain to the manager.  You're right she was lying.  I would have asked her exactly who did she talk to at 7pm when the office closes at 5? And stood back and watched her sputter and try to back track.  Report this to her manager.  She needs to be reprimanded or better yet, fired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN