Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Special needs children do NOT need special treatment! **EDIT**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 377 Replies
25 moms liked this
I am so tired of mothers with children that have some sort of "Special Need" acting as if their child deserves better treatment than any other kid. They want so badly for their children to be treated like any other child, but its the parent that makes it so difficult. Obviously there may be some treatment that will be different, but if the child acts out, the parents use their child's "special need" as an excuse. IMO that's wrong! I have had patients with all different types of disabilities and it just always bothers me with how the parents treat them.

***** EDIT *****

Why is this post so hard to understand by so many? I am NOT bashing any children!!! What I am saying is, having a child with "Special Needs" is not an excuse to let the child act like an ass. It does not matter the disorder, or how severe. A child needs discipline and structure. With any child it takes so much hard work, consistency love and care to raise a great kid. Just because your kid has a disability does not mean that you should not push them to their full capacity. let them live as "normal" as possible. Stop making excuses for them. It's doing them no good!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ditsyjo
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't understand it either.... Course I've never had a truly special needs child... Grew up with a mom with post polio... She certainly never expected special treatment
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I just don't get it. It's hard to see and hear stuff, and I just want to give my opinion but I can't :(

Quoting ditsyjo: I don't understand it either.... Course I've never had a truly special needs child... Grew up with a mom with post polio... She certainly never expected special treatment
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM
57 moms liked this

i would only assume that a special needs kid would, wel...have special needs. complaining about special needs kids really makes you look like the asshole. dont want to treat them special? then don't. who are you to care or dictate what anyone else thinks about the matter?

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM
66 moms liked this

I'm just here to read the comments. You are about to get eaten alive. 

fitegirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:28 AM
107 moms liked this
I have a special needs child and I do special things for him. Loud noises bother him at times so I bought him noise canceling headphones that he wears in public. He can't speak and has an iPad he is allowed to carry to tell me what he needs/wants. I don't expect other people to change for him. But I do acclimate some things to his needs. This is the hand I was dealt, I do the best I can with it. And if you haven't lived it, you really shouldn't knock it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:29 AM
44 moms liked this
I'll tell you what, you can have the accommodations, and the special treatment, and you can give me your child's neurotypical brain.
StarLight23
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:29 AM
7 moms liked this

I agree. I have a child with special needs too.

I have never given my child the impression that he can use his special needs to act however he wants.

I think the deserving better treatment part is that the parents just want their child accepted. The parents make children accepting kids that are different harder.. actually.

Yeah.. I would have a hard time watching a parent of an obviously special needs child use it as an excuse.

ahappymommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:29 AM
7 moms liked this

I cant stop watching this, its making me laugh so hard! LOL!

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I'm just here to read the comments. You are about to get eaten alive. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM
1) I'm not saying that special needs kids don't have special needs.

2) most kids with special needs can be treated like any other child, and they should.

3) i can care, and obviously I can not dictate anyone's thoughts.

This is MC.

Quoting Anonymous:

i would only assume that a special needs kid would, wel...have special needs. complaining about special needs kids really makes you look like the asshole. dont want to treat them special? then don't. who are you to care or dictate what anyone else thinks about the matter?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Good for you!

Quoting StarLight23:

I agree. I have a child with special needs too.

I have never given my child the impression that he can use his special needs to act however he wants.

I think the deserving better treatment part is that the parents just want their child accepted. The parents make children accepting kids that are different harder.. actually.

Yeah.. I would have a hard time watching a parent of an obviously special needs child use it as an excuse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)