Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Childhood Cancer

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:43 PM
  • 60 Replies

The last post I made was about my daughter's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia diagnosis. I wanted to share the things that made me concerned about the possibility of cancer. I've noticed that most of the parents in the hospital are being diagnosed late in the game because no one wanted to even think in the direction of cancer. 

Symptoms:

Swollen lymph nodes-- If they are swollen in more than one area of the body--ask for a complete blood count

Joints hurt- if they are sick and also complaining about their leg or arm hurting--ask for a complete blood count

Pale and dark circles around the eyes- doesn't hurt to ask for a complete blood count

If anything doesn't seem normal to you-- DO NOT be afraid to ask for a CBC! I waited three days longer than when I was first scared because I wanted to wait to see if her lymphnodes went down. It is okay to trust your insticnt and insist on a CBC. Also, if the CBC is okay but your child continues to get worse...get another CBC. My child's cancer was acute...that means when the cells DO show up...they go nuts and take over quickly. It isn't crazy to ask again. You can be concerned without losing it. 

It is said that childhood cancer is rare, but it doesn't feel like it when you are in a packed clinic looking at all of the kids getting treatment. 

*the above symptoms were Ember's signs of ALL. Since it is the most common cancer in children it doesn't hurt to read more about it. These symptoms are, when experienced together, not something that could be attributed to "anything" -- the disease is acute and it is okay to assume the worst and hope for the best. People kept telling me "well, that could be anything, right?" NO is the answer. 

This isn't a sympathy post. My daughter is doing arlight. She is almost done with the first stage of chemotherapy. This post is to tell moms it is absolutely okay to demand a CBC if you feel something is wrong with your child.

by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajelove
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Bumping my own post, ftw

ajelove
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:49 PM

bumpity bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:51 PM

That's good to know - I'm glad your daughter is doing okay!

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Bump. Glad she's doing better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ajelove
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Yes- everyone should know. It has almost been a month...and everytime I go to the hospital I see at least 5 new families getting the same diagnosis. Thanks- she's almost done with the hardest part of treatment.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's good to know - I'm glad your daughter is doing okay!

ajelove
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Here is an informative bump- Remission does not mean everything is done. My daughter gets tested to see if she is in remission next week. If she is-- that means she is responding properly to treatment, but still has THREE more years of treatment. This about the same for most kids- but many kids relapse. Remission is a misleading word for people who have no experience with cancer.

ajelove
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Don' t let childhood cancer just sneak up on you. Be informed. Thank you.

ajelove
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Do I have to bump this myself all day?

Steroid cheeks 

ajelove
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Bump bump bump. Reply if you read this. I'll start copy/pasting it into other threads lol

ajelove
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Bump?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN